• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which car is worth more ?

Hate to ask, but can he not put the property itself up as collateral for the renovations? Not only are they not building any more 2nd gen Chargers...but last I checked we aren't building any more land either (except possibly down in Hawaii, but you can't do anything there for at least a couple decades after the eruption lol).

Son still has to get a bunch of numbers together to see how much he needs
He builds houses for a living so has a good idea how much work it will take and knows who to ask to do stuff he can not do
Still will come down to interest rates and cash flow for how much the bank will lend him
The house is the original farm house I grew up in that was built in 1822 so there is not much insulation in the solid brick walls so he wants to do everything to it
My father still lives in 1/2 the house so he is fixing up the other half of the house
When it was first built it was the over night stage coach stop
What took a day to get this far now only takes an hour
I ended up building a new house in the field next door back in 1987

VERY cool. I love old houses, kudos to him for fixing one up. Shame to see so many of these old houses - with their amazing crafstmanship - getting dozed into the ground to make room for some prefab McMansion...

Even in the couple years since you bought the latest 70 Charger project car, the prices have doubled on second generation Chargers. I was going to sell my 70 Charger R/T V code 440 Sixpack car for 35k in 2020,but the pandemic shut down the potential buyers business and he backed out. I am glad every day I still have the car as it has doubled in value in three years time. If I were you I would find another way to finance the house project, because I doubt that you will find another deal on another Charger the next time around.

Secure the investment in the house.....with the house.

Since it's been in the family...is it owned free and clear?

Family farm makes everything in one big pile and more complicated than just a single family house

Still looking at all the options but to answer the original question most seem to think the 69 is worth more then the 70 in the state they both sit

I have sold a Charger in the past and after listing one it always seem to turn into a big circus trying to go through all the replies to find the one buyer
Can only imagine the fun in listing both at the same time to see which one would sell first
Right now if I had too I think I would list both cars at the same price and deal with all the trouble and hope the 70 did not go first

Will see how it goes and what I can come up with

The last Charger I sold no one would pay what I was asking so I listed on ebay and set my reserve for my asking price and the car ended up in Germany

Excellent idea, but good luck trying to get the bank to accept an "old car" as collateral. Unless the person/bank you deal with knows the value of 2nd gen Chargers. Most ALL banks have no idea. Anyway, I think you'd get more for the 69. The 70, you would probably be losing money if you sell that one. Finish it.
I used my '68 R/T, then my '69 road runner for collateral for over 30 years. Not a big bucks loans, but the banks were very willing.

I’m just curious if the place is for the son why wouldn’t the son come up with the money? I think you’re already helping him enough by giving him the space and the house ? All he is doing is renovating it for him to live in

Last edited:
Excellent idea, but good luck trying to get the bank to accept an "old car" as collateral. Unless the person/bank you deal with knows the value of 2nd gen Chargers. Most ALL banks have no idea. Anyway, I think you'd get more for the 69. The 70, you would probably be losing money if you sell that one. Finish it.
It’s no big deal. Collateralized personal loan.

A work credit union is your best best for a loan as they are most open to understanding value of classics. My hunch tells me the 1969 is worth more to the average joe as it's more of sure thing. But if you have receipts the 70 may be worth more to a mechanic type. As far as to which to keep it depends on which one you want - each one has its pros and cons. The 69 although together has a lot more work to make perfect whereas the 70 has a lot done. I like the idea of selling he 69 to finish the 70. I'm biased as I like the 70 better anyways.

A lot of good advice here. I tend to agree they both hold about the same value. Unless either of them has sentimental value, sentimental value trumps market value for the owner. I would not sell either one, but if you do, do not sell the one that brings the most $$ the fastest. Instead, keep the one that will bring you the most satisfaction.

Many have their favorite year ride and includes most old makes beyond mopars. This would include those typically running a gen over 3 years (I have a dozen cars of various makes from the big-3) favorite year GTO, T-Bird, RR, Cuda, FB, Charger, etc. Some like the 69 over the 70 and vv. Some relinquish their favorite year to get another due to money and/or what’s available they’re willing to hold for. My guess is you may have a personal preference btw the 69 and 70 aside from one being more work than the other? MO, I’d be giving this a little thought on which one to say bye to.

Auto Transport Service
Back