• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which carrier do I have?

dickdale

Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
I've got the diff out because of a gear ratio swap and want to refill it.

Which carrier do I have and which fluid do I need?

Pictures

AF77F9F1-EDD0-47F2-84F5-BE06C9A6A27F.jpeg

A58A2816-C57E-4863-910B-5D8B1FEED174.jpeg

I know it’s a 8 3/4. Two tires will spin when hitting the throttle. When on jack stands the wheels turn the same way.

Last edited:
What color are her eyes in this picture?

1 black.jpg

the sure grip is 1969 and up unit ,, case could be 741 or 489 ,,, as stated above look at the case near the yoke for the part number -- drive pattern on your gear is terrible and the coast doesn't look any better .i would adjust your shim selection to improve the drive pattern if you want that gear to live ,,, i prefer heavier gear oil 75w140 type and a bottle of friction modifier.

Looks like a cone style sure grip and a 8 3/4 case. On the driver side of it there should be numbers that end with either 741,742 or 489.

Motocraft friction modifier here. But you will need gear lube too. The motocraft is just an additive that you add to the gear lube. https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us...nsaxle-fluid/additive-friction-modifiers.html

75w85 gear oil is typical but then you have other opinions.. 75w140 etc etc. I guess it depends on what you want. ANd you just add the additive to the gear oil when putting it in the rearend.

Auto Transport Service
Back