• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which way would you go doing a restoration?

Which way would you go in restoration?

• Total voters

citadel

Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
I have a numbers matching 69 RR convertible in Sunfire Yellow. The goal for the car is a show car and driven sparingly. I would love to be able to been able to get top dollar if I ever had to sell in the future.

I am trying to decide which way to go with the resto. The car did not come from the factory with an air grabber, tach, disk brakes or the performance hood paint. I also currently has a set of hookers and holley carb.

Option #1:
Return to exact condition as delivered from factory. No hood stripes, No air grabber, No tach added to cluster, No disk brakes. Reinstall the original matching carb and exhaust manifold.

Option #2:
Add disk brakes, tach to dash cluster, air grabber, performance hood paint. Keep Holly carb and hookers

Well, first off, people say "my car is restored....." and they have put so many things on it that it did not come with. That's not a restoration. I think it was Hot Rod or one of them other rags that coined the phrase "restification" back in the early 80s. A restoration is exactly that. Restored to as new condition. You can say "it's restored but I added......" but technically it's not a restoration.

That said, figure out what YOU want and do it. Don't ask opinions on forums....cause it's your car. Your're the one who needs to be happy. Yours is the only vote that counts. Plus, you'll get a gazillion different answers.

Since you DID ask, I'll tell you what I would do. I would NOT do anything to the car that could not be undone. In other words, say I put disc brakes on. I would keep the originals. If you chunk the drums and EVER want the original brakes back, they are gone. Front drum brakes ain't growin on trees, cause people generally do what? Huh? What? Upgrade to discs and chunk the drums.

You asked about a air grabber. You gonna cut a hole in the original hood or get a replacement? See what I mean? Once you cut original sheel metal that WAS virgin (I said virgin huh huh huh heh heh heh) it's done and over. No more original hood. Ever.

I would upgrade the brakes and keep the old stuff. Maybe ad some sway bars if it has none. But be careful how I did it. Minimal or NO holes would I drill. Know what I mean, Vern? You get where I'm goin?

Numbers matching and original is only ONE time. Even restored cars are not worth what a good survivor is. So a permanently modified one is worth even less.

But, all this hooha said, in the end, guess whose car it is? Like I said way up there, you're the only one whose opinion really matters, so do what makes you happy. Oh....you might post a pic or two. I'd love to see it.

The way you like it is the way to go, Im thinking you could make all the improvements without hurting yourself, Im not up on how the original works as a whole, I mean ive seen on BJ auctions where a car has went over the block as a numbers matching car with, improvements and sold dog-gone well doing it. The things you mention could all be put back original, Its just my thoughts but id say yes, go for the upgrades, it is yours and you want to be able to enjoy it fully. anything you've mentioned isint nothing so drastic id think to affect it, ive been wrong before and i want to see what others say about it... Good luck however you go, its a great car..

Restore to factory specs for a show car,,, especially if your only going to drive it "sparingly" ,,, whats it need front disks for? Air grabber hoods are great,,, but dont cut up your original,,, find a complete hood and just swap it. If you sell it in the future, let the new buyer do his own thing,,, because chances are he wont want the same combo you put together. Just my two cents,,, they are only original once.

I actually want to have a chuckle on this one...how much money do you have for this 'restoration'? If you don't have at LEAST 40K you're dreaming. The absolute best money you can spend is get the entire vehicle taken apart, and over to your media blaster to let him do his magic, this way you know exactly where you are, and what you need, and what direction you need to take. There is no other step that needs to be adhered to as rigidly as getting it media blasted.

Hi Donny,

Yep the car is stripped and will be completely blasted to gauge what we have. Car has no visible rust but once we blast we will know what we are working with.

Well, first off, people say "my car is restored....." and they have put so many things on it that it did not come with. That's not a restoration. I think it was Hot Rod or one of them other rags that coined the phrase "restification" back in the early 80s. A restoration is exactly that. Restored to as new condition. You can say "it's restored but I added......" but technically it's not a restoration.

That said, figure out what YOU want and do it. Don't ask opinions on forums....cause it's your car. Your're the one who needs to be happy. Yours is the only vote that counts. Plus, you'll get a gazillion different answers.

Since you DID ask, I'll tell you what I would do. I would NOT do anything to the car that could not be undone. In other words, say I put disc brakes on. I would keep the originals. If you chunk the drums and EVER want the original brakes back, they are gone. Front drum brakes ain't growin on trees, cause people generally do what? Huh? What? Upgrade to discs and chunk the drums.

You asked about a air grabber. You gonna cut a hole in the original hood or get a replacement? See what I mean? Once you cut original sheel metal that WAS virgin (I said virgin huh huh huh heh heh heh) it's done and over. No more original hood. Ever.

I would upgrade the brakes and keep the old stuff. Maybe ad some sway bars if it has none. But be careful how I did it. Minimal or NO holes would I drill. Know what I mean, Vern? You get where I'm goin?

Numbers matching and original is only ONE time. Even restored cars are not worth what a good survivor is. So a permanently modified one is worth even less.

But, all this hooha said, in the end, guess whose car it is? Like I said way up there, you're the only one whose opinion really matters, so do what makes you happy. Oh....you might post a pic or two. I'd love to see it.

To add an Air Grabber to a 69 there wouldn't be any hood cutting...

2 options restore it sell it and buy a basket case and build like you want. or just build it this one like you want. its you car so it up to you.

2 options restore it sell it and buy a basket case and build like you want. or just build it this one like you want. its you car so it up to you.

I agree if you have the funds to do it back to factory I would do that and then sell it and see if you can make a profit and I know the market is soft right now.

If its one you want to keep and drive it then go for the mods and keep the original parts so you can put back.

I agree if you have the funds to do it back to factory I would do that and then sell it and see if you can make a profit and I know the market is soft right now.

If its one you want to keep and drive it then go for the mods and keep the original parts so you can put back.
:headbang:

X2

I've always wondered if you take your car completely apart have it blasted clean and fix all the body rot etc, would you just put all the original parts back on no matter what shape they are in? in order to keep it correct? or would you buy all new re-pro parts and install new while you have it apart so you have a fresh all new car? if you did that would it not be original anymore?? wouldn't that be considered a resto mod since the parts are from a reproduction? confused on this.....

Performance something that isnt totally a drag car but where it really is along the lines barely street legal. I know chopped and flopped but if I bought an original in good condition I wouldnt change it but if it is dead and bringing it back to life **** it.

I've always been of the school... its your car..... make it how you want it...

Since you have the original drive train and stated you wanted to get the most money out of it if you sell it ..... I would say restore it to original specs. If you want to enjoy it in your own way then of course you do it your way. The only reason I could ever justify doing a car back to full original condition is if you have a numbers matching car and and either want to compete in OEM judging or want to get the most money for it. Remember "nobody" ever left their cars 100% original back in the day..

I've always wondered if you take your car completely apart have it blasted clean and fix all the body rot etc, would you just put all the original parts back on no matter what shape they are in? in order to keep it correct? or would you buy all new re-pro parts and install new while you have it apart so you have a fresh all new car? if you did that would it not be original anymore?? wouldn't that be considered a resto mod since the parts are from a reproduction? confused on this.....

Once you get a scratch on an original car, it's no longer original. Much less tearing it down and even going back with all the original parts. It ain't original but once.

Once you get a scratch on an original car, it's no longer original. Much less tearing it down and even going back with all the original parts. It ain't original but once.

So what you are saying is technically a fully restored car can't possibly be original?

I guess what I am thinking is a restored concourse car fetches a boat load of money even though it's technically not original anymore?

In that case wouldn't it be considered a resto mod?? or just a resto I think I'm confusing myself now....

Auto Transport Service
Back