• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which way would you go doing a restoration?

Which way would you go in restoration?

• Total voters
do what YOU want to do, what makes you happy, its your car and you have to live with what you decide to do.

I have a numbers matching 69 RR convertible in Sunfire Yellow. The goal for the car is a show car and driven sparingly. I would love to be able to been able to get top dollar if I ever had to sell in the future.

I am trying to decide which way to go with the resto. The car did not come from the factory with an air grabber, tach, disk brakes or the performance hood paint. I also currently has a set of hookers and holley carb.

Option #1:
Return to exact condition as delivered from factory. No hood stripes, No air grabber, No tach added to cluster, No disk brakes. Reinstall the original matching carb and exhaust manifold.

Option #2:
Add disk brakes, tach to dash cluster, air grabber, performance hood paint. Keep Holly carb and hookers

I would concur with most here and do what you want, but would err on the side of the folks that say don't cut anything and keep the original parts. Probably would go with original paint color too but sunfire yellow is NOT one of my personal favs but it HAS grown on me over the years ... used to hate it :) I even fantasize about putting a keisler 5 speed in my 68 RT numbers matching engine/727 convert once in a while and haven't totally made up my mind since I've yet to begin but am itching to start! :) Good luck with whatever YOU wind up doing.

Well you have heard all sides of the question.
If there is one thing you have learned from these discusions, it should be that you can not get it wrong. If you keep the car and drive it or restore it to show condition, some one, will want the car if you want to sell it. Every thing, including price will be revolent.
Good luck

If i had to do it over again i would have shot mine with black primer and thrown it together and started driving it.

I am contemplating this same thing with my car although I dont have a numbers matching drivetrain but I am going to look into what it would take to get one.

Adding a tach ... I dont think will keep anyone from buying it who is a stickler but you do get them..LOL One in every crowd...hahahahaha
You always have the option of returning it to factory if you decide to sell it and a potential buyer cares about it

this is probably theeeeeeeeeee most asked question ever. THE RAT is right...its only a virgin once. ...so with that said, it will NEVER be the same.

i can only speak for myself and nobody else. I DRIVE MY CARS, and each one is a head-turner in its own right...they are not investments from the get-go. are they worth something ?...SURE THEY ARE...but ya cant go in with that mindset if you plan on driving them. if you want a show car that will never run and have mirrors under it .....chances are youll never drive it and wheres the fun in that ?

on the flip side... its nice to keep them as close to stock as possible...just for the romantic value of the car.....if ya wanna resto-mod it...i see nothing wrong with that either... its your call...not ours...altho opinions are nice.

i would much rather have a living, breathing , operating relic of the good ol days....it dont have to have 500 horses....or a blower for me to enjoy them....but if thats your thing,,,,then go for it.

Auto Transport Service
Back