• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiny 727 transmission

69rrvert

Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Road Runner with a 727 auto. The transmission was re-built about 12 years ago and may have 5000 miles on it. I don't remember the mileage. Anyway, the car has been parked for the last 8 years. Everything about the transmission works fine. It has good firm shifts, goes into gear immediately, and seems to be working fine with no issues. The problem, is that is has a whine in first and second gear. No noise at all in drive. I did a quick search on here and seems it could possibly be the planetary. Haven't dropped the pan but the fluid looks good and doesn't smell burned. Anything else I should look for? I have a sound clip but can’t figure out how to post it. Thanks, Steven

Load it to Youtube or Facebook and share the link.. using the media icon..

You could also use streamable.com as i already did multiple times

One of the pinions is probably stiff and creating the noise. More than likely have to change one or both of the planetaries. There may be a cure in a can. Kim

I'd bet one of the planets is starting to eat a needle bearing shaft. Pretty rare. But I have seen it. You will find steel shavings in the pan as it gets worse.
Doug

Mine whined a lot and I was told it was probably the planetary. I looked at the closely when I rebuilt it and found one that the back of the case had a lot of wear against the shim, causing excessive end play. I replaced it with a new one and now it’s silent. It may not have bee that particular wear that caused the whine and was something in the needle bearings but replacement fixed it.

My bet is either a planetary starting to fail or the thrust clearance has real issues. My experience has been that a stock planetary holds up very well for a long time with Extreme use. However if the setup was not good to start with??

Auto Transport Service
Back