• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiteish Coating or Residue on Tire Sidewalls

In the 'olden days', lol, we would wipe 'em down with brake fluid. But...too many types of fluid these days.

Damn! Take me back.

So after this I'm wondering if 'Antiozonant' is just salesman BS ?
Sonny's tip with thinner would seem to fix any problems with cleaning the tyre surface.
And I have yet to read anywhere where a tyre is leaching out Antiozonant.

I must admit I never heard that word before... I have some tires on my 63 Starfire with the same issue. at some point I'll try this on those and use a brush to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Black shoe polish works on tyres....it worked for Burt Munro. :headbang:

[video=youtube;H-ABmzRsK0U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ABmzRsK0U[/video]

In the 'olden days', lol, we would wipe 'em down with brake fluid. But...too many types of fluid these days.

Damn! Take me back.

I remember doing that too. Always wondered what it did to the rubber...

Not sure...
It seemed to keep the rubber flexible, and from dry rotting. When doing grease jobs (yeah, way back then I was a grease monkey), we kept a spray bottle of brake fluid around. Used it on all the rubber bushings on the suspension. So, why not tires. But, that was plain jane brake fluid. All the 'new and improved' brake fluids these days, no telling what kinda crap is in 'em.

After thinking I had fixed this problem I had put the car under cover for about a month and a half, in that time the coating on the tires came right back. Yesterday I cleaned them again with lacquer thinner and this time I went old school and coated them with brake fluid. They look great - we shall see what happens.

Auto Transport Service
Back