• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who else can't afford this sport but

I am not into racing, just restoring a car. My wife keeps asking why I can't just chase women like other men since it would cost less, take up less time, and she would not have car parts all over the house. :)

I am not into racing, just restoring a car. My wife keeps asking why I can't just chase women like other men since it would cost less, take up less time, and she would not have car parts all over the house. :)
Uh, wow lol. I'd have to argue that one. Divorce isn't cheap or is she looking for an excuse to go out chasing guys!? Do y'all have an agreement on trading spouses from time to time? :D :D

I love drag racing but I have concluded that anyone that initially spends 50K to win $500.00 has lost it. It has become a rich man's sport. I even built a car to compete in real street. By the time I finished the car Gary Rowe had more than a half second on everyone in the class. Yes, stock suspension non-tubbed with 28 X 12.5 street tires running in the 8.80 range to win $1000.00, give me a break. I will just have to be a novice that goes and runs for time only. Like most of you my car budget does not come from my 40 hour job..

Racing is racing. It can be done cheap or expensive, it all depends on you. Everyone wants to run with the big dogs, but that will cost you. If tou look at class racing, there are classes further up the alphabet. They even have front wheel drive classes. Last NHRA stock/super stock event i was at there was a guy running a sunbird. I can't remember what class exactly but I talked to him and he got the car for 900 bucks. Did very little to it and it ran under the index. But yeah, that's no fun right? Hey, he is racing! If you had a bunch of guys getting into those classes just for the fun of it, I think it would be a blast. I started looking on craigslist for old shadows and stuff like that.
Sure, not as glamorous as a hemi road runner, but its racing. And more fun too. Less money spent. Not taking it too seriously. AND YOU'RE RACING!!!

Hey, let's not forget rental cars.... Rent em, race em, return em.

Alittle extra cash a part for the car !
I keep my toy money sepret from house money.

It's all in whats important to you. I'm lucky enough to have a good job, but I don't buy new vehicles, I don't have cable TV, have a small house. I work overtime to pay for stuff or learn to do it my self. I used to race cars & dragbikes. Did 95% myself or traded work for what I needed. My project now will be street/strip car. I figure it will take me about 3 years to do this.

2 kids and one one the way? Time to...

As someone who's raced or building something for racing for a better part of 40 years now... I have been away from the track allot lately since 2007, dealing with Pops health issues, selling 2 houses & buying one with no loan... Then paying off student loans for 6 college educations, when I only paid off my personal student loans about 10 years ago... Then also dealing with my mothers estate about 10 years ago now, it cost me most all my disposable income, car money included, just to repair stuff enough to sell the house, get her debt paid off, my step father wasn't very good with money, even thou he's a good man... I'm fortunate, I was good with money/income, even while racing/traveling, my family supported me 100%, traveled with me allot too, they would give up certain things for me "I'm sure", when they knew I needed $$$ to make it to a race, they'd tell me something they wanted could wait, I had great kids, that also loved racing... I didn't buy a new car or the latest gadgets every year, like my friends all had... I begged barrowed or bought & scrounged for my parts, I use hand me down "junk" allot, if that's all I could afford... I got by with it until I had money, not for the family, school or house, to spend on my racecars... I struggled with my love for racing & raising a family on my own, after Lisa died, shortly after my youngest was born... I can tell you I gave up everything to make sure my kids were taken care of, some how I always made ends meet... I'm pretty fortunate, I know own my own house outright, I have my ol'Pops living with me & take care of him too... I don't have any Car payments or Mortgages... Thank God, I was smart when I did have extra money... When I have a part that is useable to someone else, I either trade for something I need or sell the parts... I also sell all the original parts that I take off my cars, when ever possible... I don't try to get big market prices just move the part, help someone else out & it helps fund the projects too, win-win situation... I've almost always built something for someone else, just to fund my build, so I could by new parts for my project, I haven't done that much in the past 7 years or so... I made pretty good money when I worked, but had times when work was scares too... You need to plan for a rainy day & you have to deal with family 1st... If there's money left then cars get attention, I always found a way if you want it bad enough... I raised 4 kids & 2 of my sisters kids & put them all thru school, paid for it all out of my own pocket, with a few little scholarships that helped pay for some stuff... I worked my a$$ off, spent allot of time building & tuning other racers cars, to fund my habit, addiction, hobby, part time vocation... I was fortunate, I made some money match racing mostly, to help cover travel expenses, I had a few sponsors, that helped too, I couldn't have raced with out them helping, but had to prove myself to get the sponsors help & $$$ also, I still didn't make a living out of it... Construction work & Automotive Dealership Maintenance is how I made my money, it's hard physical work... If you love racing enough, you will do what ever you need to, to go racing & still take care of your family... Just have fun & don't give up, I regret the time I've been away from racing, no matter how much money it costs... You have to set a reasonable goal & outline your budget & stick to it, it may take years, but you'd be surprised how much you can do with less & what luxuries/trinkets/gadgets you can personally do with out, if you need to.... sorry for the long rant...

My lack of a great job and the realization that I may never have one has led me down a different path. We built our own house only hiring someone to lay the carpet everything else was done by us (very small house payment), I buy totaled cars (no car payments), build our own furniture, etc, the point is if you want to play you've got to be willing to work your *** off. I've mentioned before that I've had my current project car (69 Charger) for 10 yrs, now you know why "it takes a long time to build a house and get two kids out of diapers". The hard work is finally paying off and we have a little breathing room except for medical bills "haven't figured that one out".

I'm a college student working a minimum wage job for roughly 20ish hours a week (just recently went up from 15), have an expensive girlfriend, 3 projects (2 of which I put on hold to finish the Belvedere), and I still manage to buy parts and get **** done. It's all in the money management. Cut the extra stuff in your life if racing is that important. I eat Mr. Noodles (alot), don't smoke, drink on occasion (once every couple of months), don't go out with friends if they wanna do something expensive, don't spend money on fancy clothes, etc.

Lots of my friends complain about how they don't have money and I have no sympathy. They are working 40 hours @ min. wage jobs, high school dropouts, spending their money like they have the income of Bill gates. You have to adjust your life according to your income, not the other way around.

Another thing you can do to save you money is not give 2 shits what your car looks like, if its a racecar, make it functional. My belvedere has a spray bomb job on the hood and trunk, no fancy wheels or stereo, it's a car thats made to go fast (well, hopefully).
I try to think of ways to go fast without spending too much moolah. In the end, the car will probably have 10k into it and I'll have the time of my life racing it, which is why we all do it (with the exception of the guys that are too competitive).

I know that if I don't get the car to a point where it just needs maintenance and upgrades here and there by the time a baby pops out, or a ring gets put on her finger, or I have to pay for a house, I'll die before it's finished.

I take no money from my check for my cars. I save lunch money,drive a 230K Caravan as a daily driver, do side jobs. My car was built with used, swap meet, and donated parts. My friends help me out, and I help them out. The end result is a very nice car that took about 3K a year and a little over 5 years to build. Almost all work done at home, metal work, cage ,engine, trans, axle,wiring. You can do it, just takes work.
Doug
Would love to see some more shots of your car.

Attachments

• B32.jpg
    B32.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 208
  • B50.jpg
    B50.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 200
  • S34.jpg
    S34.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 211
  • B44.jpg
    B44.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 207
  • RC21.jpg
    RC21.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 187
  • RC22.jpg
    RC22.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 171
  • B93.jpg
    B93.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 201
  • B96.jpg
    B96.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 193
  • W33.jpg
    W33.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 211
  • B86.jpg
    B86.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 201
  • E19.jpg
    E19.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 206
  • E18.jpg
    E18.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 200
  • P1080693.JPG
    P1080693.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 0304121543.jpg
    0304121543.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 216
  • front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 196
  • I36.JPG
    I36.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 202
  • P1090715.JPG
    P1090715.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 209
  • P1090703.JPG
    P1090703.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 209
  • S25.jpg
    S25.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 195
  • B119.jpg
    B119.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 215
14 years ago my race budget was $10,000 anual.Now it is $1000.Only taking it out 1 or 2 times a season.Sold my Race car last summer.I have about 20+ years of stuff and parts to build another.I have planned the next 4 years to build my 63 Plymouth N/SS and I tell myself it will be my last.
"Every time I try to get out,,,, I get Pulled back in". That was from some movie but don't remember. I will go to my grave still lovin' this hobby and life style.....

Owning a vintage car are for people who love work & hate Money......

tumblr_mw7xt1AtX91sz9rj8o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
I like watching the races but would rather just have a nice reliable and fast street car I can enjoy and drive to the races and shows, not that i'll enter but have fun driving to them and work and anywhere I want. I'd like to to be fast enough to represent well if i take it to a run what you brung night though and that will be fun as hell but as far as I go. I think the racer lifestyle sounds cool as hell and I applaud those that can and do do it.

I also concur with most of the posts about priorities, budgeting, and taking care of the things that matter the most first .. that's why my cars aren't done and my 70 RR that I've been wanting to have look new and nice is still in the garage patiently waiting. But now is the time finally and the R/T is first :)

Auto Transport Service
Back