• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who else travels for work?

67 B-body

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
I do a lot of traveling for work, and was wondering who else does?
It sure takes allot of time away from Home, Family, and Mopars!

Being an Electrical Engineer, I design automation using Robotics. This has me traveling to the customers facilities to oversee startup of the systems equipment, after verifying / touching up the Robotic positions.

The only thing car related I get to enjoy while I'm out, is when people walk by and see my computer desktop... "It's my car".
I always get the question or two, which then strikes up some pretty good conversation.

How about you????

I do as well and you are correct on all. Kinda sucks that's why I make the most of it when I am home. LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG drives help ease the pain!

I do as well and you are correct on all. Kinda sucks that's why I make the most of it when I am home. LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG drives help ease the pain!
At least I get airfare miles to use when the wife and 4 yr old want to go along...
Last year they came along a couple times, and got to enjoy Disney World, and the Queen Marry...
Every January they come along with me to San Francisco,,, so that one has already been in the books....

I travel to NYC everyday from Orange county.... I also travel with clients everywhere.
Sick you the city grind...Need more open roads.....

I use to, I don't miss it anymore either, up until 2007 I had as many as 125 dealerships, in a Automotive Dealership group for the most part, I had to consult with Commercial Properties owners/general managers & service dept.'s, do various remodels, updates for corporate dealership, many repairs, sub-contractor coordination, mostly project management, deal with Engineers, Architects/Designers {they are the worst} or rebuild or even new structures sometimes, mostly all in the West, the bulk were in Calif., still had to travel allot, then scattered over NV OR WA TX NM OK AZ some as far as Kansas, Arkansas & Missouri.. Logistic & Demographic nightmares always, never ending... Always made time to talk to the family as much as possible, way more then I do now...LOL... My other Vocation/Hobby was Drag Racing, I traveled all over the U.S., I was away allot, my family went with me allot racing, until the latter years... Stopping at ever Checkers Shucks & Kragen's for displays, park the car & trailer, let kids crawl all over it, in the parking lot & hand out flyers & do a burn-out here & there, made more money doing that than racing ever... Never could use up all my Air Miles, my gas cards were always smoken', always in some POS rental car, sometimes I got a cool loaner from the dealership thou, helped with my car addiction, got to drive allot of different newest latest cars/trucks/SUV's...

I drive Allot of new cars too Budnicks..... That part I enjoy! Just about every time I fly into LAX I get a Hemi Challenger......

I travel for work also, My "territory" is the Province of Ontario, Canada (about the same size of the US states Texas & Montana, combined) I put 100-105,000 km on my company car every year (equivalent to about 62-65,000 miles?)

I work in hospital construction as a third party inspector/consultant for the Medical Gas Systems... essentially there is a Code and I'm the guy that makes sure the installation and design meet code (so I know what Budnicks means about the Architects/Designers & Engineers being a PITA to deal with!) It's a good gig because due to the failure of our competitors we've become a "monopoly" company if you can call it that so every hospital in the province (approx. 211 Hospitals in the province) I also get retained by the Bermuda Hospital because they use a Canadian Installer and he installs as per the CSA Standard but I rarely am there long enough to enjoy the island.

I travel about 50% of the time , I`m an electrician for a company that manufactures plastic extrusion equipment, ,just got back from New Jersey , at least it was warmer there than back home in Chicago . I enjoy it at times , the first day and the last days are the best days on the road .

I travel all over Virginia doing computer networking for a large corporation. I don't like traveling in rental eco-boxes so I get my own cars for travel. I have a 2007 Hemi Magnum that I use now. I was using a 79 Volare Wagon for a while until someone ran me off the road and totaled it. It was not exactly fast but it was a Mopar and I would get into all sorts of conversations when gassing it up. It wasn't a stock Volare (cop suspension, etc). I have had to use the Magnum since losing the Volare. I have a line on a 63 Belvedere Wagon so that might be my next 'work car'. Just can't bring myself to drive a mini-van (not that there's anything wrong with that), it's just that if I have to put in the miles, I want to drive something fun.
This is obviously before the total. I had blacked out the bumpers after this photo.
photo3.JPG

I travel when I go out on a well. There has to be a geologist around when we are drilling so we know where we are, what we are into. Lots in Kansas, Colorado. Seems like it's always in the middle of nowhere. I drive a Hummer with big tires since I need some serious mud capabilities.

I travel the entire North East, work in the Chemical Industry as a technical rep. It gets old fast. I get a new Company car every 18 months. I am away from home a great deal. I get a few hours here and their to continue on the Mopar. Wife is used to it. Kids are grown and don't need me anymore expect when they need money. Ha ha I don't mind. Car takes so long to finish. The job eats all my time.

I travel 9-10 months a year.. different city every night...anywhere from 185 to 700 miles between shows, and with Europe, Australia, and South America included, I put anywhere from 200,000 miles to 300,000 miles on my person, gear and luggage.. BUT it's a living, put my kids (4) through college, had 2 house (lost in Divorces), and 2 wives, they loved the money just didn't like me being gone that much..lololol

I used to travel all over the area managing commercial and big residential projects. Last job I had was about to ship me off to some long term job where I'd only be home 1 - 2 weekends a month. Then I got laid off in the recession and became a high school physics teacher. F$ck traveling. Never again.

I travel 9-10 months a year.. different city every night...anywhere from 185 to 700 miles between shows, and with Europe, Australia, and South America included, I put anywhere from 200,000 miles to 300,000 miles on my person, gear and luggage.. BUT it's a living, put my kids (4) through college, had 2 house (lost in Divorces), and 2 wives, they loved the money just didn't like me being gone that much..lololol

Ummm,,,, What the heck do you do??

Few years ago made frequent trips to Seattle to support the design of an airplane. The company spent A LOT of money putting the stress engineers on rotation up there. The contractors at the time ate it up, but the directs weren't compensated on equal terms. We were expected to travel all day, then go into the office, yet could only charge 8 hours, while contractors would charge 12-14. Rules were also changed constantly regarding per diem. After that debacle was over, I think someone higher up might've suggested Telecons and Webex meetings, which some of us had suggested from the beginning. I don't mind travel, but find it pointless to spend thousands simply to sit in mostly unnecessary meetings for 2 weeks.

Few years ago made frequent trips to Seattle to support the design of an airplane. The company spent A LOT of money putting the stress engineers on rotation up there. The contractors at the time ate it up, but the directs weren't compensated on equal terms. We were expected to travel all day, then go into the office, yet could only charge 8 hours, while contractors would charge 12-14. Rules were also changed constantly regarding per diem. After that debacle was over, I think someone higher up might've suggested Telecons and Webex meetings, which some of us had suggested from the beginning. I don't mind travel, but find it pointless to spend thousands simply to sit in mostly unnecessary meetings for 2 weeks.
I'm with ya on the pointless meetings!
I can't stand having to show up at a cust facility for a 6am meeting with ALL the other contractors and listen to everyone else bossiness... Typically after an hour or so of crap, I get asked if there is anything to report, followed by a no,,,, Were ready, been ready, waiting on everyone else!

67B-body, I am the Production mgr/ Sound engineer, for bands ..Poison, the Cult, Linda Ronstadt (when she toured), Mickey Hart from Greatful Dead...44 years into it ...and STILL love it !!

Damn that's some traveling/mileage !!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm with ya' guys on the needless meetings, unfortunately nobody knew my end of anything anyway, except me usually or my foreman's or someone needs answers for a specific project, or for building dept. inspections or engineering problems, the lead carpenters, electricians, plumbers or tile guys, HVAC, welders, lathers, roofers, painters, concrete or asphalt people, landscapers, equipment installers, material deliveries, cranes & riggers... Then the stupid interior design people, were wack/nut jobs, had to watch them like a hawk, so were the draftsman, engineers/architects {my degree are Architecture/Engineering too} I usually had to stop them from blowing thru the budget all the time, trying to get something over on me or the customers, always listening to some salesman, finance guy or office personnel lady, that had no purchasing power, someone always wanting something free or extra, with out having a change order, to actually pay for it etc... Don't get me started on that subject... But I needed to be there to see progress & lite a fire under certain contractors asses sometimes too, sometimes just to make them wonder when & if I was going to show up, keep them on their toes/honest... Babysit them it seems... Sometimes just to get my damn draw/check, have a face to face with my foreman's & always with the dealership general manager, that's how the car business works, is face to face... I wasted many a flight for stupid senseless meetings... But with todays teleconferences, conference calls & Skype, phone video-chats/meetings etc. with todays technology, if you don't have to physically see it, or touch it, it can be done by computer or by phone etc... If you have somebody that you trusted that has eyes/ears onsite... I charged/billed extra for consultation/meetings, they all learned rather quickly, I don't give my time away, I use to when I was younger, but got much smarter latter...

Hey im a geologist who works on an oil rig as well. Mostly of the wells i work on are around the Bakersfield area in California but i live in Northern California the wells can last any where from a week to 5+ weeks. Long time to be away from my car.

Guilty... Cover a territory from Boston to Pittsburgh and i'm 120 nights a year in hotels. Can be tough but ya gotta do what ya gotta do..

On the flip side ill take it compared to sitting in a cubicle all day...

Auto Transport Service
Back