• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has a leaky grease gun, and how do you store it?

A 5 quart oil jug works great!

Hmm. Move to fl.
My guns never make a mess here !
Unless I'm not noticing and something is eating the grease ,witch might explain why the two rats were so big and moved so fast (they didn't even squeek )

So, I have two grease guns, one is a full size and the other a small hand held, both sweat out grease around the nozzle tip, and the bottom of the cylinder and the top cylinder where the pump piston is located. They have always done it no matter what position they are stored in, or what type of grease is loaded, but every now and then I will catch them before the next drop falls to the floor. Its annoying that I have grease marks soaked into my garage floor from them, as they are hung under a shelf when not in use.

So, I guess this just normal for grease guns to sweat out due to temperature changes and what not. Thought about using some scrap PVC with a capped end and storing them inside that, at least I wont have a mess on the floor.

What do you guys do?
I have always made a blue shop towel taped neatly as a cap and slips snugly over the tip of gun. Works perfect for years.

Years ago I got an oil catch pan that had a single small hole in it for catching oil, sort of funneled into the center. Dumbest idea ever for oil changes, but after I changed clothes, cleaned up 8 qts.off the floor,and showered I retrieved it from the woods and drilled several bigger holes and now use it for grease guns, funnels, draining filters, anything that leaks. When I built my garage, I sealed the concrete with some stuff called REZ sealer. 12+ yrs and nothing stains it yet. Just don't breathe when applying lol

Auto Transport Service
Back