• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has an oil pan that does NOT leak ???

Hey bud, I installed one of those one piece trays also. I fired it up let it run 15 minutes, drove it 2 miles, shut it off, checked before I got in, drove it home, parked it in the drive( slight incline ). I started cleaning the garage, looked under the car, there it was. I pulled it back in, started looking, it was from the back. When I pulled the pan again, I think it's that large lip on the back of the tray that causes the oil to puddle. I used rtv to glue it to the block. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to finish and drive it. That's happening this weekend, I'll let ya know. Take care.

Hey bud, I installed one of those one piece trays also. I fired it up let it run 15 minutes, drove it 2 miles, shut it off, checked before I got in, drove it home, parked it in the drive( slight incline ). I started cleaning the garage, looked under the car, there it was. I pulled it back in, started looking, it was from the back. When I pulled the pan again, I think it's that large lip on the back of the tray that causes the oil to puddle. I used rtv to glue it to the block. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to finish and drive it. That's happening this weekend, I'll let ya know. Take care.
Did you fill the retainer bolt holes with RTV? Look and see many times the pan barely covers that area.
Doug

I chased a oil pan leak for years

Didn’t realize it until I pulled the timing chain cover off finally one day

When the timing chain cover got pushed on during the last rebuild at the machine shop , either the alignment pins where out of round

Or the timing chain cover alignment holes where full of paint and not cleaned proper , bottom line those holes on the timing chain cover where pushed out when the timing chain cover got installed or pushed on , so those areas never sealed proper with the gasket flush

Oil was running vertically down from the timing chain cover , getting on the oil pan gasket , working its way backwards towards the transmission making it look like everything was leaking

I chased a oil pan leak for years

Didn’t realize it until I pulled the timing chain cover off finally one day

When the timing chain cover got pushed on during the last rebuild at the machine shop , either the alignment pins where out of round

Or the timing chain cover alignment holes where full of paint and not cleaned proper , bottom line those holes on the timing chain cover where pushed out when the timing chain cover got installed or pushed on , so those areas never sealed proper with the gasket flush

Oil was running vertically down from the timing chain cover , getting on the oil pan gasket , working its way backwards towards the transmission making it look like everything was leaking
That is probably my problem. I see the alignment pin is properly aligned, but I know for certain I have some seepage there. I'll probably tackle this in the fall.

That is probably my problem. I see the alignment pin is properly aligned, but I know for certain I have some seepage there. I'll probably tackle this in the fall.
Had this taken care of before I built my new motor over the winter

Anyways

I cleaned up the pins with scotch brite and a fine file

Cleaned up the holes in the timing chain cover with the proper size drill bit

Took my time making sure the factory timing chain cover was flush again with a metal straight edge ruler

Turned out perfect

I don’t use any rtv on my timing chain cover gasket or oil pan gaskets with wind age tray , honestly nothing

Superformance Gaskets are a little thicker , very nice

100% Drip Free on my new vin numbers 432 Stroker that I built

Using the factory 47 year old timing chain cover and factory windage tray and a new reproduction 402 oil pan that I had on a few years ago when I was chasing the damn leak

786480B5-7E4C-4C04-89F9-6C886C053C2B.jpeg CE0D233D-53B1-436F-B1F9-0B2F377B7123.jpeg

Last edited:
I reinstalled the pan. It still leaked, I pulled the flex plate cover to check rear seal, restarted the car crawled underneath and it was coming between the pan and gasket. I called Summit and the guy says I'll send you out a new gasket. I said I don't think that will work the way this is designed. Wound up getting 20% off and he said if it leaks after I seal it again there'll refund or send out a new one. Kind of a pita but I've got to fix it anyway. So next weekend is more fun. Take care

Auto Transport Service
Back