• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has MOVED from their home state ? How difficult was it for you?

The whole concept of wells for water and solar for power is new to me. I've had the ease and comfort of city services all of my life.
Mary's dad has bought and sold properties for years. He is more in tune with that stuff. I've had to become familiar with wells, pump rates and depth of the well.
Once you get a little out of town where the parcels are the size I want, the chance of city water and power really drop off.
The well and pump at house #2 are at the edge of the minimum standards. The father in law thinks legislation is coming to increase those minimums. This means an expensive upgrade just to meet those standards. The house looks nice in general but carries with it some hidden expenses like a shiny classic car with rust bubbles visible in the lower quarters. We will likely pass on this one.
The upside?
We are in no hurry to leave where we are here. We can afford to stay if nothing desirable comes to market right away. We still talk about Tennessee as another option. In most ways, that is my ideal place for economic, social and appearance reasons. We both see much of the Arizona landscape as pretty to visit but too barren to live in for long. I see yards like this:

Then I think back to our visit to Tennessee and Georgia in 2021:

Green grass everywhere. THIS is what I really want.

Grew up in Orlando FL (Pre Disney World), lived 30 years in Baltimore, MD could not wait to go back south where people are nice and decent. One hour from the mountains, three hours from the beach, green grass, rural and live on a 20 mile lake, with no restrictions to boot. We used to travel for a week every year between Christmas and New Years to scope out our last move. Best move we made.

@Kern Dog Take a look at this guy's videos from various parts (and social strata) of the country. The videos will give you a pretty good idea of people and places; and "attitudes".

For example, here's one:

Last edited:
We moved from IL to TN in 2017, Clarksville to be exact. We loved it although a little busy people were nice and we could be in the Smokies in 4 hrs. We liked the melting pot of military and locals. We're conservative so it's nice to be with like minded people,please leave CA behind for your sake and TN. You will have humidity,heat and tornadoes just a fact to consider. California is the best for sure but earthquakes suck. Be sure to consider grandkids

We almost bought property in the town of White House , Nashville area is very nice. We decided to move to the high desert of AZ don’t miss Chicago are at all !

We moved from IL to TN in 2017, Clarksville to be exact. We loved it although a little busy people were nice and we could be in the Smokies in 4 hrs. We liked the melting pot of military and locals. We're conservative so it's nice to be with like minded people,please leave CA behind for your sake and TN. You will have humidity,heat and tornadoes just a fact to consider. California is the best for sure but earthquakes suck. Be sure to consider grandkids
We did consider the kids and grandkids. We escaped in 1991. 3 thousand miles seems to be a good cushion. They don’t show up very often. No babysitting or hauling to Violin practice or soccer.

Auto Transport Service
Back