• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who here remembers doing this?

Still have these using them back when. Remember how slippery they were to handle after filling them with oil using old shop rags wrapped around the bottles.

Oil Jars .jpg

Still have these using them back when. Remember how slippery they were to handle after filling them with oil using old shop rags wrapped around the bottles.

View attachment 1628533
Those are cool !
The last time I remember
seeing those, as a 6 year old
kid, was at a 1/8 mile dirt
track my dad ran in the early
'60's. The drivers liked them
due to not needing a full qt
to keep their engines topped
off.

Those are cool !
The last time I remember
seeing those, as a 6 year old
kid, was at a 1/8 mile dirt
track my dad ran in the early
'60's. The drivers liked them
due to not needing a full qt
to keep their engines topped
off.
FIL had a basement garage buying oil by the barrel. Had another oil tank and a 300-gallon gas tank he would have filled as needed. He bought stuff from an old gas station being torn down in the 60’s, had a tire changing machine I used as well. Sure was handy when I had a thimble to pee in in the early-mid-70’s..

On a trip to Needles CA in '69, taking Rt 66, went with a friend of my dad, Bill and his son in their '67 Riv. At one gas station the attendant checked the oil bringing the dipstick over to the window saying "Your a Quart low". Bill replied "Is that with or without, your thumb on the stick?"
When I started driving I looked like I wasn't old enough to drive let alone change my own oil and gas station attendants would constantly ask me if I wanted them to check my oil. Not no but hell no was my answer :D Can't remember if it was my dad that told me about that 'trick' or someone else but back then I thought what a good way to make extra money lol but it wasn't long before thinking what a bunch of shysters.

When I started driving I looked like I wasn't old enough to drive let alone change my own oil and gas station attendants would constantly ask me if I wanted them to check my oil. Not no but hell no was my answer :D Can't remember if it was my dad that told me about that 'trick' or someone else but back then I thought what a good way to make extra money lol but it wasn't long before thinking what a bunch of shysters.
Has happened not that long ago with my daughters at some quick-lube places. They had it fine when they still lived at home with my doing maint and repairs on their cars. Still do some when they’re here, but they got busy lives. Hell, one place wanted to flush their coolant system, another the trans oil, costing a few hundred bucks. Well, one place clocked one of my kids and was peeved as their coolant had been flushed, by me, 35k miles before. Since then, they call me and been several of them. Dad this place says I need a new cabin air filter for $190. I asked how do they know; did they take out the glove box and pull it out? Um no…they didn’t do anything like that. Lol. Say no thanks. I replaced it for 25 bucks (for the filter.)

Another call, Dad this place wants to replace all the transmission oil, says it is bad. I ask do tell? What makes them think it is bad? Says it looks dirty…they showed me the stick thing, its like a dark-red color. Say thanks, but no thanks..
Man, how many millions of car-clueless folks get work done they may not - need?

I can remember Mrs. Herning coming in to get gas in her Rambler American and getting .50 worth once a week. Best part was washing windows when the skirts were getting pretty short there in the 70s. Some windows took a lot of time to clean.

Yes. In the 60's and 70's. Still have my original spout from the Sinclair gas station my buddy worked at in 1970.

I can remember Mrs. Herning coming in to get gas in her Rambler American and getting .50 worth once a week. Best part was washing windows when the skirts were getting pretty short there in the 70s. Some windows took a lot of time to clean.
I bet those windows were spotless! The question is though for who? Lol

I remember when the plastic bottles with caps came out. How convenient and less messy!

I worked at a Mobil station in HS. Full service with a 2 bay shop and one wrecker. The rule was you always washed the windshield unless it was raining. Sucked when someone only bought $1. worth of gas. I ended up staying on as a mechanic after HS which included driving the wrecker. That's where I got real used to R&Ring a 350 Chevy timing chain! Did a lot of those!

Last edited:
Yes I remember those very well along with washing windshields and carrying the metal coin changer on my belt and a roll of bills in my shirt pocket. Back when Arco was Atlantic Richfield and the average price was around 32 cents per gallon. I already had Mopar - itis really bad and it's still just as bad. lol……..

Local Clark has station in Louisville Kentucky got busted for placing that spout into already empty cans. They had on hidden camera the owner telling the pump jockeys to "make me some extra money tonight". The TV station examined the oil cans on the top stack and showed the already punched through lids.

This is the very last can that Meijer in Cincinnati Ohio had on the shelf as they transitioned to plastic bottles. I think that was 1985.

IMG_20240315_180352347.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back