• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Makes the Best Fitting Body Panels?

'68 Coronet R/T

Local time
9:14 PM
Reaction score
I have used a AMD, Goodmark and some generic stuff. The Goodmark quarter skins used on my Coronet R/T were absolute junk with body lines and side marker cutouts off as much as 3" from one side to the other.

Purchased a floor pan support for '65 Buick Convertible from AMD and it fit great and was well built. Now I am hearing their quality is suspect and that some of their products are rebranded generic stuff.

I need to buy a roof skin, floor pans, trunk floor and maybe some lower quarter patch panels for my '68 GTX project.

So what is the consensus? Who makes the "best" replacement panels?

The quarters, lower rear valance and inner front fenders on my 68 Charger are AMD. Fitment wasnt perfect but with some patience and skill was able to get a decent fit. Just be glad you can even get replacement panels even if their not exact, otherwise your left to scouring the junkyards for something you can try to make work..IMO.

I have used AMD, Sherman and OER finding problems with all of them. Chrome and bumpers are best with OER, some Sherman panels are better fitting than AMD, but AMD is generally the best junk you can buy. The real gripe is when you show them pics of how their parts fit and the problems, they are not interested in correcting them. Any two of AMD parts will not fit together properly, holes won't line up, body lines won't line up. Good luck.

I'm not a professional, but I have had the best luck with donor parts from similar car lines...ie Coronets, 500's, and even 4-doors. I have also managed to scare up a few NOS repair panels that weren't too expensive. And I know this often takes serious searching, but the fit is worth it. Granted, you probably won't find useable trunk pans or lower quarters but the SW states still have some quality parts.

I replaced quite a bit of metal on my Bee. AMD hands down was the best. I’ll admit there were a couple pieces I went with goodmark on to try and save a buck. Ended up tossing it or either having to do major fab work to get it to fit. I’ll never use anything but AMD or a factory replacement .

Most of the exterior of my Charger, plus all the trunk panels (trunk floor, trunk extensions, rear cross member) was replaced with AMD. My body guy didn't mention any issues and it seemed to go together pretty quickly. I asked how the AMD stuff went together, out of curiosity. They told me they use mostly AMD components for all their builds because they are the most accurate of what's out there.

Nothing is going to be a drop in match! They weren't when they were new, and I wouldn't expect them to be perfect 50 years later either.

And just to clarify,.... they didn't tell me that because that's what they ordered. I already had all the pieces before bringing it to their shop.

My AMD full quarters, rear wheel wells, trunk floor extensions, rear deck panel and rear lower valance fit like a glove with very little massaging. I would definately buy AMD again. My fuel tank came from AMD and it was spot on.
I did anticipate some modifications, so I was not disappointed with what I did have to do to make everything fit.
The lower valance corners...another story for another day.

Thanks for the replies.
So far AMD gets the most nods even with their issues.

I'm not a professional, but I have had the best luck with donor parts from similar car lines...ie Coronets, 500's, and even 4-doors. I have also managed to scare up a few NOS repair panels that weren't too expensive. And I know this often takes serious searching, but the fit is worth it. Granted, you probably won't find useable trunk pans or lower quarters but the SW states still have some quality parts.

that is how I roll
reproduction parts are only a part of last resort to me.
depending on the part, the fit is a mixed bag with repo stuff.
I have even found some Goodmark that will fit/look better then AMD
you never know until you try to slap it on..
yeah you have more time into prepping out a donor part
but you don't have to test your fabrication skills making it fit properly.
the flat repo trunk/floor pans are pretty good
anything with a radius is imo mostly junk

Did a quarter on a 68 GTX.AMD. Fit great. Bought an early 68 GTX hood. AMD. piece of crap. took it back.
Kinda hot & cold.

Auto Transport Service
Back