• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are people afriad of

moparmarks

I'm just a guy with a screwdriver.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
door hinges? Just got another car in. A 70 T/A Sublime 4-spd. Cool car with nice paint but the hinges are shot. So now I get to remove and re-build them, one at a time, and then aline the doors. Probably will have to re-set the strikes too. Then hopefully I won't have to mess with the fenders but sometimes I do. All this on a PAINTED car. This should have been done before paint. This is the 3 car in the last few months that I've have to fix the hinges.
Same with hood hinges. Nice painted car with shot hood hinges.
I just don't get people sometimes.

You would think the door hinges would be one of the first things they would fix.

Yes it is really noticeable and irritating when they are worn out. I'd also be embarrassed if they squeaked and groaned or I had to lift them to get them to shut properly esp on a freshly done car.

You would think. I can't chip or scratch the paint cause then that's just more work I have to do.

funny you mention this, im about to rebuild another set. the last 3 cars ive done had wasted hinges and strikers because the owners did not adjust or lube them. instead , they kept slamming the doors destroying the strikers because they sagged.

Oh ya, these are 70/1 E-bodies so sometimes I have to re-do the stripes or billboards cause they no longer line up after I line up the doors. Ever try to remove a billboard? It sucks.

I know exactly what you're saying. My car has new paint from the previous owner but the hood, driver door and driver quarter extension need alignment. The hood and door due to hinges, but the extension? That's just lazy.

I would like to see a step by step with photos of the door repair, if you have the time. I'm sure it would be a huge help to many FBBO members.

One of the first things I do when I buy an old car is rebuild or replace hinges as needed whether I paint or not.
I hate doors or anything that doesn't open and close properly, even a glovebox for gods sake, but not addressing before paint is just plain stupid.

Unfortunately not all body men are created equal. many are a legend in their own minds.

A lot of guys are afraid to tackle door/hood/trunk hinges because they think rehanging and aligning doors is some kind of voodoo science. Sure it helps to have experience doing anything, but i think that a lot of guys get in a hurry and get frustrated if it doesn't fit just right on the first try and then they give up on it. It takes some patience and persistence to get it right and it helps if you have a helper that has a lot of muscle and patience too.

I don't get why people don't fix them either. Hinges were one of the very first things I ordered for my car, before I even had a body shop lined up.

I worked in Autobody Restoration & Collision ,for over 20 years from the early 70`s to the late 90`s & every time I estimated a complete, that was one of the first things I would test for, because it`s the easiest to detect, Open the door all the way & lift! If there was the slightest movement, Pins & bushings!

Over the last 40 years I ran into countless guys that said they are body men. The majority lied.

door hinges? Just got another car in. A 70 T/A Sublime 4-spd. Cool car with nice paint but the hinges are shot. So now I get to remove and re-build them, one at a time, and then aline the doors. Probably will have to re-set the strikes too. Then hopefully I won't have to mess with the fenders but sometimes I do. All this on a PAINTED car. This should have been done before paint. This is the 3 car in the last few months that I've have to fix the hinges.
Same with hood hinges. Nice painted car with shot hood hinges.
I just don't get people sometimes.

While I totally agree with you, and am satisfied with my door hinges after rebuilding them, I do have a question regarding hood hinges. How are they rebuilt? I haven't seen any kits for them, or I'd probably have already done it.

I can appreciate that the holes for the rivets can wear and elongate, but what's the answer? Do you weld up the wear and re-drill the holes, and find new rivets? What do you do if you find wear in the gear area? Any help, suggestions or pictures would be appreciated.

-=Photon440=-

If I am looking at a car I am interested in buying, I always check for worn door hinge pins.....................MO

yes, hinges are a pain in the ***....actually, aligning the doors is the pain, the hinge replacement is a piece of cake. Why hassle "rebuilding" a hinge when you can buy them already done for reasonable prices. The bigger hassle is, why is it everything lined up real nice BEFORE paint and seemingly won't AFTER paint?
I think the short answer yo the OP question is, lack of patience because it sure takes a boatload of that!

I don't know why either. I made all my bushings but I have a lathe and the material lying around.

As far as I know the only door hinges one should be afraid of are early Porsche 911. Those are part of the body and door and the only way to adjust them is to beat them up with a big hammer and punch. Like carburetor linkage parts - bend to adjust.

80's Camaro 's too, cheaply welded to the body, adjustment?

That's a good question. I have no idea either. Looks real sloppy, especially when there's new paint on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back