• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why can't I find a simple "stick" vacuum with a cord?

Dibbons

Local time
6:00 PM
Reaction score
My wife wants what we used to call an "electric broom", today known as a stick vacuum. This would be just for plain old floors, tile, linoleum, etc. Seems impossible to find now or outrageously expensive. Don't want a spinning brush either. Just something to pick the dirt off the floor with a cup I can empty out when needed. Used to have a dirt devil model (noisy put powerful) but now even dirt devil has only cordless or models with the motor located in the handle. Maybe I should start visiting the antique stores. Posted on FABO also. Thank you.

Go to a Goodwill retail store. They probably have lots of them.

theres a local store called big lots will sell you about a billion of them.
just look for your local big conglomerate that isnt walmart.
altho im surprised wallyworld doesnt have them..?

I own that dirt devil
Works OK but, small

I have one to. It is small but handy. (and cheap)

Last year I had windows and doors open on a nice day and a swarm of stink bugs passed through. They settled in as is their nature but every day when the sun came out they wanted back out. (they are not bright).
My dirt devil is light and the cord is long enough so as not to be a big negative. I sucked up the critters that tried to fly through the windows and gave up on their escape.
After a few days they were all gone. (literally hundreds of them). The can is easy to empty and in my case with the bugs I gathered I just let them go on the other side of the glass they tried to fly through.

What I really like about things like this is it can be had for so cheap that if it doesn't work out as expected very little is lost. I feel like I got my moneys worth with just this one issue.

I have two shop vacs that really -suck-(in a good way). For my bug issue they would have been a real PIA.

BTW I work in industrial construction and corded tools are becoming less common almost by the day. I am old school about power tools but the new battery ones have my old stubborn self moving on. I never liked dragging cords around and the new tools do solve that issue.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back