• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do you like Mopars?

Originally I didn’t like them back during H.S in the early 70’s, we joked about how they rusted out, even on top of the fenders.
But whenever we all went out to Telegraph or Woodward ave, I always got my *** beat by one, even after my dad and I put a 428 in my 69 cougar, we’ll that wasn’t working.
So then dad and I found a nice 289 hi-po and put that and a 4 speed in a 64 Comet Caliente, that was better than the Cougar, but still getting beat.
So I gave up later and decided on owning what I needed, Mopar.
End of story, and no regrets.

It was my friend Al, he had one of the fastest cars around back then. He liked to cruise back and forth between the Sun Drive-In and Porky’s, looking for the next street race. He passed away a couple years ago, his son still has the car somewhere in northern Minnesota. Last I heard it’s fallen into disrepair.
The Sun Drive Inn was the main hangout - many a night there and many a time rolling out of there to take on another man and his beast. It was on Central right near the Sun that I lost my only street race to a Boss 429 - I like to ensure everyone knows he had slicks on to my Goodyear Polyglass. His whole 1/2 fender victory came out of the hole. Apples to apples on tires there would have been another winner that night. Never saw the car again - always wanted another shot at him.

Porkey’s was down on Lake Street - another famous local muscle car hangout with Lake being the drag strip. Didn’t go over that way much - mostly a Sun/Central guy. Lake St was an edgier part of town and same with the crowd that hung there.

Too bad about your friends passing and then the car being disrespected afterwards. But those were the places amd those were the days. Best of memories lay on quarter mile stretches of Central Ave and a few other local street strips. Hoover St was another one.
92B90460-C4AD-4774-8DFF-FA0EA35DEBCF.jpeg

Black Sheep, did your friends R/T have a six pack scoop? I remember seeing a gold 67’ at Porky’s on University a couple of times. Heard through the grapevine that it was a very fast car.
MattB

I enjoy all the different muscle cars, but have only owned mopars. My Dad bought new 69’ RR and 71’ Demon. He would tell stories about cruising main st. in New Richland, WI and various places in the Twin Cities. Always wanted a 69’RR like Dad. Finally after maturing up. Met a guy who became a very good friend helped me find my first RR. After owning a few different cars then getting married I got my current 71’RR along with my Dad’s 34’ Chevy 5 window coupe after he passed away.
MattB

I was a non-chevy gm guy until the age of 16.5, when my mom was in need of a replacement car.
We saw a 66 Coronet for sale across the street from the movie theater one day.
As soon as we crossed the street, I was in love.
We called the owner, went for a test drive, and my infatuation only got worse.
I begged mom to buy it, and asked that it be mine and I would pay her back, and we could both use it.
....so that's what we did.

Previously she had, in order- 1959 pontiac bonneville (with 389 and 8 lug wheels- that was a cool car), 1967 Chrysler Newport (383-2 and all sorts of features that I LOVED), and a 1971 buick lesabre (350-4, which was the first car I ever actually worked on starting at age 12).

After working on that buick, I found the Dodge MUCH easier to work on for some reason, especially the electrical stuff, as well as access to things under the hood and under the dash, despite it being a smaller car. I also found I fit better in the Dodge, again despite being a smaller car. I've been over six feet tall since I was 13, and the Dodge had more headroom, even more when I discovered i could remove the spacers under the seat tracks. I was also an instant fan of the adjustable torsion bar front suspension.

I did own or partially own 2 more gm cars at the same time and/or shortly thereafter- a 1966 olds 98 (425 rocket and that car was FUN), and a 1972 buick skylark (350-2, which was an extremely clean car for Ohio). Mom bought both of those to be her cars, but I ended up driving them most of the time. The olds was $100 and after a year the trans went out so we bought the buick.
Had I known then that all gm engines and trans interchanged, I'd have put that 425 in that skylark, and hoo boy, would that ave been fun. DIY crossbreed gs-442!

But after that, I've only ever owned ONE more gm (1985 s-10 ext cab 4 cyl, the worst vehicle I've ever owned) and ONE ford (1971 torino gt 351c 4v one of the nicest survivor cars I've ever owned), the rest of my 32 cars since then have been Mopar.

Last edited:
I like Mopars because of the 68-70 Dodge Chargers. Let’s face it. They have the sexiest body lines ever with that true coke bottle look. You blend that in with that amazing roof line with sail panels, the most beautiful grill ever with hidden headlights and it doesn’t get much better than that!!!

One picture tells it all. Had a 73 charger 318 slap stick car brand new. Back road dragging with a 340 duster. With 440 two Holley 750 cfm double pumpers. Four speed transmission. So much fun to take money form Ford and chevy guy's. LOL.
IMG_0103 (6).JPG

I agree about that. Priceless to see gm 350 guys faces when they get beat by a 318 car.

Was recently asked this question. For me, well....I grew up with them but deviated somewhat in 1970 with 3 56 Chevies. Still had my first car which was a 66 Belvedere II during all that but after Uncle Sam got me in 71 and had to sell the 66, I came home with a 71 Stooopid Beetle (yeah, not a good experience for me) and bought a 72 340 Challenger Rallye in 74 shortly before selling the Stoopid Beetle. Next was a 67 Dart and snagged a 69 Dodge D100 gofer truck with really bad valve stem seals. Next came a 66 Mustang Fastback then a 65. Long story short, the Ferds didn't serve me very well either and got rid of them and pretty much stayed with the Mopars afterwards.

What I liked the best about the Mopars is that they held together under my abusive ways with cars and I could work on them without very many problems unlike the Chevies and the Fords. The Fords broke the most while the Chevy stuff gave me the most grief while trying to do the most simple of jobs like brake work! I had black thumbs with the GM stuff and the breakage with the Fords was frustrating to say the least but man, I really liked the 1st gen Fastback Mudstains. Had a lot of fun with them and my dog liked them too. She could ride in the back with the seat folded down and had a good view of her surroundings...plus she would scare car hops when she stuck her nose out from behind me and the B pillar when the food came out lol but then they would fall in love with her :D

Was recently asked this question. For me, well....I grew up with them but deviated somewhat in 1970 with 3 56 Chevies. Still had my first car which was a 66 Belvedere II during all that but after Uncle Sam got me in 71 and had to sell the 66, I came home with a 71 Stooopid Beetle (yeah, not a good experience for me) and bought a 72 340 Challenger Rallye in 74 shortly before selling the Stoopid Beetle. Next was a 67 Dart and snagged a 69 Dodge D100 gofer truck with really bad valve stem seals. Next came a 66 Mustang Fastback then a 65. Long story short, the Ferds didn't serve me very well either and got rid of them and pretty much stayed with the Mopars afterwards.

What I liked the best about the Mopars is that they held together under my abusive ways with cars and I could work on them without very many problems unlike the Chevies and the Fords. The Fords broke the most while the Chevy stuff gave me the most grief while trying to do the most simple of jobs like brake work! I had black thumbs with the GM stuff and the breakage with the Fords was frustrating to say the least but man, I really liked the 1st gen Fastback Mudstains. Had a lot of fun with them and my dog liked them too. She could ride in the back with the seat folded down and had a good view of her surroundings...plus she would scare car hops when she stuck her nose out from behind me and the B pillar when the food came out lol but then they would fall in love with her :D
My dad always drove them in fact my first car I got from him. A 61 Dodge polara 361. It looked like a giant cuttlefish. Wish I still had it.

For me the Mopar bug got me at 18. I had always helped the older guys work on their cars before I was old enough to have one and they had chevys and one guy had a mustang.
Once I was looking to get a car all I could afford was a ratty '70 roadrunner with a 383 and 4 speed. It had no interior only a driver seat but it ran. After all the time I spent working on the the other brands, I couldn't believe how simple and well designed most of the car was. My first impression may have been different if it was a small block, but the big block with the front mount distributer, flat oil pan, oil pump on the outside of the block and an intake manifold that didn't have water running through it hooked me. Then add the pumpkin style differential and torsion bars and there was no way I wanted anything to do with the other brands.

My neighborhood gang were Chevy guys. (We have one Ford lover, but we all think something bad happened to him in his childhood.) I was and still the only Mopar guy of the group. They still to this day throw that (most bang for the $$) for their Chevy rationale. Yes, Mopars do take more $$ to own. But I've seen how they look at my Mopars. Like the hot chick they were to scared to ever ask out. My counter to their $$ argument. "You will always be low rent!"

For me? Mopar was higher risk. Thus higher reward. They have no argument in comparison. Mopar body lines are more aggressive. Wedge head engine with rocker shaft is a superior design to Chevy's ball stud. (Let alone any hemi comparison.) The A833 4-speed is flatout heavier and tougher then any Muncie. The Dana 60 is the biggest/heaviest rear end ever put into a passager vehicle. Period.

Yes they're more expensive. But worth every penny.

My neighborhood gang were Chevy guys. (We have one Ford lover, but we all think something bad happened to him in his childhood.) I was and still the only Mopar guy of the group. They still to this day throw that (most bang for the $$) for their Chevy rationale. Yes, Mopars do take more $$ to own. But I've seen how they look at my Mopars. Like the hot chick they were to scared to ever ask out. My counter to their $$ argument. "You will always be low rent!"

For me? Mopar was higher risk. Thus higher reward. They have no argument in comparison. Mopar body lines are more aggressive. Wedge head engine with rocker shaft is a superior design to Chevy's ball stud. (Let alone any hemi comparison.) The A833 4-speed is flatout heavier and tougher then any Muncie. The Dana 60 is the biggest/heaviest rear end ever put into a passager vehicle. Period.

Yes they're more expensive. But worth every penny.

Perhaps 20 years ago the "chevys are way cheaper to build" was true but then when company's like AMD and 440 source came into play that is no longer true. I used to see dozens of older Mopar hot rods with chevy engines in them (sacrilege in my book) but with the readily available and cheap 5.7 engines there is no reason for the chevy route any more.

Auto Transport Service
Back