• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why doesnt my crank and power steering pulleys line up they are off

flamesoldier

Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1974 400 big block that was a 4 groove crank A/C car. I bought and converted to a 2 groove crank pulley for cleaner look since its an ac delete car. The pulleys dont line up for power steering but are perfect for alternator. I have seen 3 different versions of the big block 2 groove pulley. Any ideas out there?

84702AA5-BE9C-4F29-A71B-302F96E59F51.jpeg

0ABAC4E2-1531-4BE2-B7CE-ECBD96D6F67C.jpeg

Try to shim the pump away from the bracket. It should square it up.

pspulley.jpg

Your P/S pump is for an older engine, with A/C . you need a pump and pully to match your crank and water pump pulleys. a Saginaw pump with non A/C pully.

From the pic I think the pullies line up close but the pump brackets hold the pump crooked. As stated before you will need to shim the front bracket or modify the rear, slot the holes to move the pump back a little to straighten that pump. That problem was pretty common with that bracket and pump set.

Different PS and Crank pullies through the years so you need to match them up. That does look like the small TRW pump which was a 68 earlier pump. It does look like the BB pully on it, so maybe a different crank pulley makes it work. The steering gears were similar so it would be fine with either your pump or moving to a saginaw if you go that route. Changing pumps means brackets and hose change too, so may be simpler to get your TRW working.

The power sreering pully on my 78 magnum with a 400 didn't line up either. Needed a shim or two as well.

Different PS and Crank pullies through the years so you need to match them up. That does look like the small TRW pump which was a 68 earlier pump. It does look like the BB pully on it, so maybe a different crank pulley makes it work. The steering gears were similar so it would be fine with either your pump or moving to a saginaw if you go that route. Changing pumps means brackets and hose change too, so may be simpler to get your TRW working.
It is 100 percent a federal power steering pump its part code is big block for both pump and pulley it is correct, i put a new 2 groove crankshaft pulley for 400 big block thats when it didnt line up it lined up with 4 groove no problem

Mancini or 440 Source should have what you need. Had the same issue adding PS to My 68 R/R with a Sag pump.

Rather than shim the front can you move the rear part in?

Mixing and matching pulleys from AC and non-AC cars and different years is NOT advisable.

...as you are finding out the hard way.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the way it is.

You cant shim the pump to line it up. Get the correct pump and pully and bracket .

It is 100 percent a federal power steering pump its part code is big block for both pump and pulley it is correct, i put a new 2 groove crankshaft pulley for 400 big block thats when it didnt line up it lined up with 4 groove no problem
But what year? Was the 4 groove pulley, PS pump and bracket origanal to this car, or did they come from something else?

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back