• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why would you?

It's only a '71, so no big loss, but the thought process of Craigslisters is something else. I don't call them bottom feeders for nothing.

ten bucks says it ain't a 340.

look at that rear wheel pic.....it's full of bondo.

grille is worth $600 plus though.

if it fits...it ships. i wouldn't go bashing... non stock engine swapping in an application where there is no aftermarket for the custom parts you need to make it work is a huge and difficult undertaking!

Well its his car to do what he pleases. I suspect he's putting in a Cummins 4 cylinder which are abundant, make gobs of torque and have adapters available for virtually any trans, so it should be an easy swap.

look at it this way, in 10 or 15 years , someone will come across this "barn find" project in a million pieces littered with hacked up backyard stick welds everywhere and chunks of bondo falling off , and will bring it back to showroom condition

Craigslist is full of "Swap Projects for sale" the typical's are lost interest, don't have time, too many other projects, etc etc... You can fill in the blanks. Like half assed LS swap projects. They supersede all other failed "Project cars".

Not all people on craigslist are bottom feeders.. I go there to get flipper cars and trucks. Buy them fix whats wrong and punt them down the road at double my money. Most of the time I do OK but have been burned by bad decisions. Like a 4 cyl S10 NEVER VER BUY ONE TO FLIP. Unless its free. Just picked up a 95 Dodge 5.9 Ram today. transmission is shot but otherwise a nice truck.

I bought This truck for 2000 bucks and 600 in parts and rebuilt the front clip. Sold it for 5500 cash. Took 2 days to swap out and paint the parts. Its a good way to supplement income.

untitled.png SAM_5160 (2).jpg SAM_5538.JPG

Last edited:
I'm sure there's people that say or said the same thing about 32 fords getting their flat heads swapped for hemis and small block chevys. While I wouldn't swap a 4B or even a 6B Cummins in, I can't blame the guy for trying it. Think about it, its hot rodding at its very core. Find the baddest engine you can , shove it in the coolest car you can and enjoy. Those Cummins can make a literal ton of torque with very little work/expensive, even more if adequate money is thrown at them. And they do it while staying together and streetable. When there's daily driven 8000 pound 4x4 diesels pushing into the 11 second category while getting 18-20+ mpg and over 1200 ft lbs of torque, it's easy to see why it's tempting.

Auto Transport Service
Back