• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will 8 3/4 rear end from a 69/70 Charger bolt into my 73 Charger?

Corman

Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
Hey Mopar Community, quick question: I would like to upgrade from my 8-1/4 rear end to an 8-3/4 rear end in my 1973 Charger SE. I have found an 8-3/4 from a 1969 Charger. Do you know if it can be easily swapped (bolts in)?

It can be made to fit but it is not a direct bolt in.
The 71-74 B body axles are a LOT wider and the leaf spring pads are spaced further apart. I've used B body axles in A-body cars (Small car going to a wider axle) but never went the other way. The spring pads can be cut off and moved over. You will want the earlier leaf spring plates since they don't have that huge rubber cushion in them.

A better way to go would be a C body axle. They are a similar width. If you're going to have to move the spring pads anyway, it will give you an axle that is closer to your stock one. The C body cars pop up in the self serve yards sometimes and can be bought for under $200.

I have no idea of how much of your own work you do or how much money you have to spend.....but the "easiest" & cheapest way to go is with a 71-74 b-body 8-3/4 rear end and matching driveshaft (length may be different). You have a lot of other options, but this is the cheapest/easiest.

But if the Charger rear end is cheap AND has gears that you want AND is sure-grip.....yeah, just cut off the old spring perches and weld on some new ones and you'll have a little extra tire clearance I think (?). You'll need to find a REALLY good shop that is confident they can weld up the rear end....and you'll likely need a different length driveshaft regardless.

Auto Transport Service
Back