• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a 71/72 Satellite bumper fit on a 74 body

HightowerFTW

Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1974 Satellite project car with a damaged rear bumper.

So I need a new rear bumper, but I prefer the look of the 71/72 Satellite rear bumpers. The 71/72 looks more tucked in.

The rear bodies look very similar from 71 to 74 (except for the bumpers of course) so I’m wondering whether a 71/72 bumper would “bolt onto” my 74?

The tail light assembly is obviously very different. but besides that, could this work? I assume I’m not the first person who thought of this…

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and advice.

I believe the 71 & 72 will fit, however, I think you will also need the lower pan to match which ever bumper you decide on. The 73/74 I believe are the same or very close. I like the 72 the best of those years and if you look at the bottom of the taillights, you will see they extend slightly below the rest of the bumper and are not cut straight across and would hit a 73/74 pan. On my 73, the guy I bought it from, took off those ugly factory bumper guards. What part of P.A. are you in? It's a big *** state! By the way, welcome aboard! You should post an intro on the welcome wagon.
:drinks:

Last edited:
The brackets should be the same, but I don't think the outer edges will line up right with the quarter panels.

The side and lower profiles of the bumper 71/71 and 73/74 are not the same. This is not a bolt-on job.

Yep. That's what I was getting at.

71/72 is "sculpted" with a matching recess in the quarter panel that's the same shape as the bumper.

73/74 uses a filler strip and the bumper and QP are not exactly the same shape.

He might have to bend the edges of the bumper out some to make it fit. The filler pieces may need to be trimmed back some too,but I think that the filler pieces will help him pull it off. I would go with the 71 bumper and lights with the blackout onto the rear valance. A porta power could be used to tweak the corners of the bumper out.

I would lay the 73 bumper on some white poster board and trace the edges,the do the same with the 71 bumper and see how much it needs to be tweaked to work. The part where it meets the trunklid is the same. There is also the option of cutting the corners off the 73 bumper and grafting them onto the 71 bumper, like Kindig does on every episode of his show,. It would be easier to do if you are doing body colored bumpers. I say go for it. I have never seen it done.

There is something about 73/74 bumpers that I like more than 71 and 72. 71 and 72 looks like somebody kicked in their asses, LOL. harder on 71s of course, LOL.

I believe the 71 & 72 will fit, however, I think you will also need the lower pan to match which ever bumper you decide on. The 73/74 I believe are the same or very close. I like the 72 the best of those years and if you look at the bottom of the taillights, you will see they extend slightly below the rest of the bumper and are not cut straight across and would hit a 73/74 pan. On my 73, the guy I bought it from, took off those ugly factory bumper guards. What part of P.A. are you in? It's a big *** state! By the way, welcome aboard! You should post an intro on the welcome wagon.
:drinks:
Thank you very much. That’s very helpful.

I’m in Chester County. But I used to be in Hackettstown, NJ ride through Columbia all the time on my way to PA.

The brackets should be the same, but I don't think the outer edges will line up right with the quarter panels.
Not the same. Here's the breakdown for 1971-74 Plymouth B Body 2 door rear bumper brackets:
1971 one year only
1972 one year only
1973-74 the same

What I meant was- the brackets should mount to the rear of the car the same.

Yes they are different in how they mount to the bumper, but that should not affect the OP's intended use.

Auto Transport Service
Back