• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will it be sufficient?

74Satellite

Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
Ok I have made plans to drive down to Texas in May to pick up my Roadrunner. I had a truck and enclosed trailer lined up for the trip. however, the gentleman just came down with a serious illness and said that he doubts he will be able to go with me. He said that I can still use his trailer if I have another truck which I dont (Sold mine when gas was $4.50 per gallon).

My question is this.

Will my wifes 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT with the 3.8L motor be sufficient to pull a trailer down to texas, and haul back with the roadrunner and $4000 in parts in the back?

None of the rental companies allow you to tow with their vehicles. I can have a hitch installed on the van for less than $300. It is still under warranty if something were to break...but I guess I am asking will it be able to do it?

A mini van pulling an enclosed trailer with a Road Runner and parts inside? Hate to burst your bubble, but NO! The van is going woefully inadequate for the job.

No.

You will be pulling approximately 6500 lbs loaded. Your mini van is not rated for that kind of towing capacity.

Even with an equalizer hitch system you likely would have way too much tongue weight on the back of the van making the front of the van too light and your front brakes would be seriously compromised. Even with air bags on the van to raise the rear to overcome this, your van will be way underpowered for the weight you would be pulling. Any type of hill would reduce you speed to a crawl and put a serious load on your engine and more importantly your transmission which you would probably burn up.

Man, I thought it would be good since I once used a 1995 6 cylinder 5 speed F-150 to haul a trailer loaded with a 1990 Ford F-250 with a 460 in it cross country and it did fine. I figured if a 6 cyling F-150 could pull an F-250 fine that the Van could pull a trailer and a car.

Well hell, now to figure out plan C.....

The van is rated for 3500 pounds towing capacity...what if I just brought a open 16' car trailer? Oh and the car has no drivetrain in it which makes it lighter. The engine and tranny I am purchasing here. The only opportunity I will have in the next 1.5 years is on May 21-25 so its pretty much then or never.

I have only been in Rochester for a year so I dont have any friends that know me well enough to Loan me their truck. Renting a U-haul moving van is too expensive. Grrrr

We tried this only towing a 68 camaro for 40 miles, we made it. But had to replace all brake linings, and rotors, the transmission was never right again, seemed very very, ummm, best way I can describe it it "fluffy" on accelleration.

And the trailer we had also had trailer brakes that were very functional.

I wouldn't reccomend it.

Ok, plan "C" does anyone live in NY that owns a truck that would like to take a round-trip roadtrip to central Texas leaving on May 21st and returning on or before May 25th. I of course will pay for all fuel, tolls, food, and lodging if required. I will also provide the trailer. It will be a quick turn around!

Ill even buy some beer while we are loading up in Texas and before we head back out to NY.

Ill even pay for an oil change in the truck when we get back since its about 3300 miles round trip.

cant you just rent a truck??
my buddies rented one when they went to pismo with my big trailer and 9 quads last fall..
f150 would be fine...

Havent found a truck yet that had a tow hitch or would allow me to use it for towing...plus the rental and mileage costs would kill me on top of the fuel and everything....Uhaul has a chevy silverado but they charge .59 a mile which would be in excess of $1800 alone not to mention fuel, the cost of the rental for 5 days and everything else...if I could find a rental that was unlimited mileage with the ability to tow Id do that.

I bought a 91 silverado on craigslist for around 1000 bucks, drove it to CW Coach sales in Cincinatti Ohio, from atlanta, and back with one car going up and one comming back, then i resold the truck when i was done for 1500.00. if it's only 3000 miles or so may consider that route.

check out these companies that transport cars and see what the charge is....thats got to be the cheapest way

If it was a running car with no extra items I could have it shipped for $600 through DAS. However, since it isnt running and I have LOADS of extra parts that need to go with it, the companies either wont deal with it or they will ship the car but not the parts, and it is much more expensive since it isnt running and they have to use "special" transport needs.

I just need to either take my chances with the van or find someone that can go down with me. (Man, I wish I hadnt sold my truck *kicks self in arse*)

Look into having a trustworthy independent transport it for you. You are going to save in the big picture (money & time - not to mention eliminating all the logistic headaches). These guys don't mind if there are extra parts as long as they are packaged well and secured in the vehicle. Some of them will even carry the parts in their vehicles. Although not highly advised to recommend Moparts here, there are some very reliable guys that transport there (look in the transportation section). Also, if you go to FABO, I recommended a transporting section for members. There is a stickie in the "Cars For Sale" section. Good luck.

cant you rent a uhaul truck or a ryder truck i see them all the time with car trailers behind them?

Have you gotten a quote from United Rental? We've rented pickups to dump trucks from them in the past. You might check them out, I believe they may have a flat rental fee.
Please don't try the Caravan even if it worked the Cops would hang you for a unsafe vehicle.

if i were you.. i would fly down there, rent a truck and trailer for a one-way rental and then drive back.

seems to be the cheapest if you ask me.

Auto Transport Service
Back