• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will It Fit?

Lowhound

Local time
11:51 PM
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a while now & I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me. I will be useing an aftermarket type of Ram Air box on my 70 Superbee. I can keep my A/C useing this type. I planning on running flexible but stiff duct through the existing holes in the firewall where the block off plates are located to access the upper control arm hardware. So I won't be cutting new holes. Once through those holes the duct will turn towards the front of the car. Now the thing I need to know. Does anyone know if a front valance from a 70 Charger will "bolt up" to a 70 Coronet? I'm hoping to have the air duct from my Ram Air system end at the holes previously meant for the Charger turn signals, effectively useing the turn signal holes as my fresh air intakes.

IMG_20220306_013104_941.jpg IMG_20220306_012946_858.jpg 7242680-DSCN1392.JPG

You got a big enough hammer and enough beer handy and you can make anything "fit". :thumbsup:

I don't have any pictures as its not done yet but I'm going old school NASCAR style of cowl induction on my 65.

I was going to recommend the old school NASCAR cowl air induction too. But, if you really want to run the air inlets under the bumper, I'd guess there's about a snowball's chance in hell the charger valence will fit. How about a Plan B? Maybe get another 70 Coronet valence and build some air holes that match your ductwork? It will fit perfectly since you'll just be cutting holes and welding in inlets

I was going to recommend the old school NASCAR cowl air induction too. But, if you really want to run the air inlets under the bumper, I'd guess there's about a snowball's chance in hell the charger valence will fit. How about a Plan B? Maybe get another 70 Coronet valence and build some air holes that match your ductwork? It will fit perfectly since you'll just be cutting holes and welding in inlets
I looked at several types of Ram Air setups. This is the only 1 that gave me room to route everything without cutting holes somewhere in sheet metal. Every modification I've made so far can be returned back to original except for the frame connectors & a couple of other components for stiffening my suspension. My 1st thought was useing the 2 inside headlights for my air intake. But the way my fenders are made I would have to cut 4 inch holes in each fender behind where the headlight buckets mount

At 1st I was wanting to use something very similar to this. I was wanting to use my original dual snorkle breather & convert it to a fresh air type by connecting ducts similar to those you pictured. But I couldnt find any that would attatch to my breather without looking awkward or butchered together
Yep, the ducting is going to be the thing...
If you know anyone with CAD/CAM skills, this might be right up their alley.

I've run an under-bumper scoop on a Ford once...but back to your car. "Something" has to be custom looking. If you can't get to the inner headlights & you don't want to cut anything, then the upper control arm cam bolt holes you picked out make sense. I suggest you focus on that hole and see if you can fabricate two similar pieces (one inside & one outside the hole) that allows you to transition to some flexible tubing (home clothes dryer type...often used on factory stock air cleaner inlet hoses). Take a look at your car and see where you can put your scoop(s)...under bumper, in headlight socket, in valence....all will work. I just like the idea of fabricating air inlet holes in another 70 coronet front valence since I think it's easier to do that (already fits the car perfectly) than modifying a Charger front valence.

Just for the hell of it I'm going to check the valance on a 70 Charger someone I know is currently working on & compare it to my Coronet front valance. Has anyone ever heard of "The Mutant Bee"? It's a restomod Superbee a shop but a few years ago. It has the 2 spots in the valance like I'm wanting to use.

Screenshot_20220419-205932-095.png

Thank you!! I will definitely tried those Olds parts out. Because I forgot to figure in fitting my bumper guards & I can't use them with the 1st idea I had.

I was able to find some flexible duct that retains it's shape & is tough & doesn't tear easily. I had to enlarge the hole in the driver's side fender by 1/8 of an inch along the bottom side. However the passenger side needs nothing & the hose passes through it easily

Yep, the ducting is going to be the thing...
If you know anyone with CAD/CAM skills, this might be right up their alley.
This is what I came up with. This ducting is flexible but it's also stiff & holds it's shape better than similar looking ducting. Now I must bolt on a 70 Charger valance & route the hose to the holes originally intended for the turn signals

IMG_20220724_023836415.jpg

Just me, but I'm thinking having
those intakes that close to your
rotating tires will introduce a lot of
debris to your air cleaner. Not to
mention excessive amounts of water
splashed and water depths greater than 6" or so.
Also dusty road conditions.
I don't think grabbing air for your
engine will play out well when you're
pulling that air from your wheelwells.
Most 'ram air' , cowl, and
valance systems rely on air more or
less being forced into the intake.
There won't be a force of air where
you plan on installing your intakes.
What you're doing looks innovative, though, but not practical for
longevity, performance, or
maintenance.