• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Paint Adhere to Aluminized Tubing?

Dibbons

Local time
11:17 AM
Reaction score
My ten-year old TTI exhaust system is starting to show some spotty rust in a few sparse areas. The system is currently out of the vehicle. Would like to freshen it up with some heat resistant paint (rattle cans). I get the feeling this aluminized tubing may react like galvanized metal and reject any attempts at applying a coating of paint. Experience anyone? Thank you.

TTI 1.JPG

Use a metal adhesion primer paint will stick and finish smooth. Used to paint aluminum on boats note no not sand

You’ll have more trouble getting your paint to stick to the rust than the aluminized coating. Clean it really good first, paint will stick then.

When you paint headers or exhaust manifolds & pipe your heat rated paint needs to be tempered / baked on.
No paint will hold forever but doing a heat cycle with cool down a couple times before road use will help it last for awhile.

Eastwood used to make a cast iron / grey colored exhaust manifold paint that I have used as a header coating before, worked better than I thought it would.

VHT makes a silver ceramic coat that I have used on headers and it held up very well

Blast it and then use Eastwood manifold paint and bake it in a powder coat oven

i used VHT Aluminum color paint on an exhaust system i recently built. it was all fresh tubing. just wiped down everything with acetone first and then painted.

looks like you’ll need to do a sanding job then wipe before painting; sandpaper will probably work for you

my only pics of the paint attached

watermelon

17213C24-F5B7-4002-8795-4FD98DCA3B4E.jpeg FEBF01B4-4C88-4677-AE2F-636B8EF57895.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back