• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wilwood Mopar master cylinder

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:34 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone bought the wilwood master cylinder made for a mopar, part number 260-16793-BK? If so does the lid leak any? I'm sick of buying these cheap MC and having them leak so I want to buy a good quality one like wilwood. Have you have any other problems? How's the breaking? Did you have any problems installing? I have a 69 RR with bendix power brake booster, wilwood front calipers and drum in the back.

Thanks,
mpro69rr

Has anyone bought the wilwood master cylinder made for a mopar, part number 260-16793-BK? If so does the lid leak any? I'm sick of buying these cheap MC and having them leak so I want to buy a good quality one like wilwood. Have you have any other problems? How's the breaking? Did you have any problems installing? I have a 69 RR with bendix power brake booster, wilwood front calipers and drum in the back.

Thanks,
mpro69rr
I can't answer the Wilwood question, but I can tell you my master cylinder leaked twice and screwed up my paint on my inner fender :BangHead:

I finally figured out that the machining had produced fairly large ridges on the top where the lid had to seal. The brake fluid could seep through these ridges. I took the master cylinder off the car, laid some sandpaper on a flat surface, and sanded down the ridges. It hasn't leaked since!

I'll try to see if I can find pictures of it - I took some at the time but can't seem to find pictures...

Edit: I found my thread where I covered this. Here is the post:
Hawk-Rod: The "Tune-Up"

Thanks,
mpro69rr
1705847218969.png

Yup....remove the fine ridges. This is Hawk's MC.....and if you go to the link he posted it'll show more of what he did to it.....

Never had old iron stock style master seal completely. The new 2 bolt plastic/aluminum style are good. This is the reason all my hot rod stuff has silicone fluid.
Doug

I can't answer the Wilwood question, but I can tell you my master cylinder leaked twice and screwed up my paint on my inner fender :BangHead:

I finally figured out that the machining had produced fairly large ridges on the top where the lid had to seal. The brake fluid could seep through these ridges. I took the master cylinder off the car, laid some sandpaper on a flat surface, and sanded down the ridges. It hasn't leaked since!

I'll try to see if I can find pictures of it - I took some at the time but can't seem to find pictures...

Edit: I found my thread where I covered this. Here is the post:
Hawk-Rod: The "Tune-Up"
Yup, same thing happened to me. Brand new MC, took her for a drive and when I got back the brake fluid was almost gone! I cleaned the inner fender the best I could so I hope it doesn't start to dissolve the paint. I'm going to check the ridge and see what it looks like. Thanks!

I looked at the MC and could not find any ridges. I don't want to take any chances ruining my paint so I went ahead and ordered the wilwood MC. I should have ordered it to begin with but I took the cheap way out. I went to a car show today and was surprised at how many cars had the wilwood MC, so I guess its a good product.

Thanks,
mpro69rr
I have the Wilwood master cylinder and I have never noticed it leaking. I have the raw aluminum version and I have noticed some corrosion below the lid, but no discernable brake fluid.

IMG_6750.jpeg

I have the Wilwood master cylinder and I have never noticed it leaking. I have the raw aluminum version and I have noticed some corrosion below the lid, but no discernable brake fluid.

View attachment 1600980
I ended up buying the wilwood MC for mopars. It fixed my brake problems! Well worth it!

Auto Transport Service
Back