• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windlace installation

RSZ28

Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
Does the windlace in a 1965 Belvedere HT run completely under the sill plate so that the rubber part of the windlace is expose for the bottom of the door to compress it, or does it just fit under the ends of the sill plate A few inches?

On our 64 it runs completely under the sill plate entire length. The trim shop that installed it had trouble getting it positioned properly under the sill plate.

I took the sill plate off before we hit the trim shop and the old windlace was under there. It's a goofy setup.

Assuming the same for 63-65 anyway, the lace portion is beneath the sill and rubber section exposed creating the door seal. There are other threads on this, including mine as the aftermarket lace I got was crap - way too large and ended up putting the old one back on. This was 2-3 years ago and the supplier, a vendor here, told me there was only one place mfg it. The lace looked crappy too IMO, unlike the OEM. Maybe today there are better ones available, and if so, I'd like to find it.

Bob
Do you recall the length needed to go completely around door and under sill? Was it one complete piece or was there a seam? If it wasn't a solid piece where was the seam located, under the sill or above the door? Thanks

Restoration Specialties is where I've bought mine - nice stuff & well made & was fairly priced.
Good source for any weatherstripping, rubber bumpers, body plugs, and fasteners, too.

I think I got them at detroit muscle technologies. It is probably from the same manufacturer mentioned above as being too large - somehow the trim shop made it work and it looks good and seals well. When we bought them everyone was out of stock so we grabbed them when available. They push on to the body flange. The car is not here right now so I can't answer your other questions. I can say they are just a length of material - not a continuous loop

Correct, sold by the foot. And like trunk weatherstripping, takes a few days for them to compress.

Bob
Do you recall the length needed to go completely around door and under sill? Was it one complete piece or was there a seam? If it wasn't a solid piece where was the seam located, under the sill or above the door? Thanks
I'm pretty sure its under the sill. Be prepared for the doors not wanting to shut right with most new windlace due to the replacement stuff being thicker than the original. If you have black interior you could use rubber only windlace from a newer Dodge truck, sorry not sure of years but if asked in the general forum someone will know.

Auto Transport Service
Back