• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window Regulator for Power Windows

Charger Too

Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
1967 Dodge Charger - How many times do you need to turn the window regulator spring for the front and rear windows on a power window car? It has been turned once and the windows goes down fine but it is slow going up. Thanks!

1967 Dodge Charger - How many times do you need to turn the window regulator spring for the front and rear windows on a power window car? It has been turned once and the windows goes down fine but it is slow going up. Thanks!
If your motor and regulator has some age, channel guides are new, new felts / wiskers then that motor will be a little slower going up.
Engine running / alternator charging will help.
Keep every joint and roller in the regulator lubed.
You can allways try one more turn you will know real quick. I'm pretty sure the manual regulator springs are just one full wrap.

Check your voltage at the motor when going up. I had a bad switch that was dropping 3v. Or, inversely, try running a known 12v directly to the motor.

The power window motor on the passenger side quit working, so I removed the whole mechanism from the door, didn't do an research or reading on how to change the motor i.e. not clamp the spring loaded mechanism. When a removed the last bolt from the motor, the spring loaded arm released smashing and gashing all my fingers on one hand and 2 on the other. After a few cuss words and making sure my fingers weren't broke and cleaning up the trail of blood to bathroom, I figured out I should have done my homework first. Now, the problem is nowhere have I found how many times or how tight the spring needs to be when installing the new motor and where it should be line up. I'm thinking the arm only went around once and the I don't think I can even get the spring wound more than that. Any help or references is appreciated.

I just had a similar issue, rolled the passsenger window down and wouldn’t go back up unless I powered it direct, thought I was going to start chasing grounds and read this post
Hooked the multi meter to it and sure as hell it had almost 12 volts on the down side and 4 on the up
THANKS

Auto Transport Service
Back