• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Replacement

curious on this as well. whos done it themselves and what tools did you use? how hard is it to put these early b body windshields in with the rubber weatherstrip seal. I've done a VW bug front and rear windows with same type of rubber seal but that has a flat windshield and they are smaller, wondering how much harder this big curved windshield makes it? should I just have a professional do it? would It be worth the extra $150 they would charge to install? id really hate to waste money on that if I could easily do it myself

I have replaced my own windshield in the past. You need a "piano wire" cutter and some good suction cups to get it right. Also, removing ALL of the old seal and residue is very important to ensure proper sealing on the new one. That being said, I will never replace my own windshield again. If you don't do it everyday, it's a pain in the ***. I would pay a professional. Plus, if they break the new one, they replace it. If it leaks, they repair it. Otherwise, it's all on you. Good luck.

I have replaced my own windshield in the past. You need a "piano wire" cutter and some good suction cups to get it right. Also, removing ALL of the old seal and residue is very important to ensure proper sealing on the new one. That being said, I will never replace my own windshield again. If you don't do it everyday, it's a pain in the ***. I would pay a professional. Plus, if they break the new one, they replace it. If it leaks, they repair it. Otherwise, it's all on you. Good luck.
I was afraid that might be the case, the bug window was doable but your right... it was a pain in the ***.

'nuf said. Thanks for you're input.

I did my 68 Chargers windsheild. I did not use the rope or wire method. I had a NEW gasket that fit well and simply lubed up the gasket and started at the bottom. I slowly worked the bottom and the corners in then across the top to the top corners. Had it in in maybe 20 Min? I almost would have been pissed at myself for paying someone to do it. I took my time and did not press on the window and let the window go into place with a bit of effort.

I did my 68 Chargers windsheild. I did not use the rope or wire method. I had a NEW gasket that fit well and simply lubed up the gasket and started at the bottom. I slowly worked the bottom and the corners in then across the top to the top corners. Had it in in maybe 20 Min? I almost would have been pissed at myself for paying someone to do it. I took my time and did not press on the window and let the window go into place with a bit of effort.
How did you cut the old seal to remove it? That to me has always been the hardest part. I have replaced quite a few over the years, in cars and big trucks, just not worth the hassle, in my opinion.

How did you cut the old seal to remove it? That to me has always been the hardest part. I have replaced quite a few over the years, in cars and big trucks, just not worth the hassle, in my opinion.

I cut it with a razor blade right where it folds into itself so the window just popped right out when i removed that portion.

Pay someone to do it. I do my own, but did auto-glass for a few years...back in the 80's. Ask around your area for someone experienced at OLD auto glass. Cheap, generally isn't the answer.

Pay someone to do it. I do my own, but did auto-glass for a few years...back in the 80's. Ask around your area for someone experienced at OLD auto glass. Cheap, generally isn't the answer.
what method do you use, suction cups and that string dispenser thing with a handle? and how much easier would it be if there was a second person to help push it in? and maybe this is an obvious question but it is harder to install bigger windows like this one? I generally like to do things myself if possible, and learn that way. the main issue beyond it being pitted is that it needs to come out do some rust repair around the window frame. so I would have to either remove it myself anyway or have the glass guy come twice.

what method do you use, suction cups and that string dispenser thing with a handle? and how much easier would it be if there was a second person to help push it in? and maybe this is an obvious question but it is harder to install bigger windows like this one? I generally like to do things myself if possible, and learn that way. the main issue beyond it being pitted is that it needs to come out do some rust repair around the window frame. so I would have to either remove it myself anyway or have the glass guy come twice.

I think I'm going to remove the old one myself to do any needed repairs and paint, then have the new windshield professionally installed.

That would be my call, in your place. Lots of repopped stuff doesn't fit as well as OEM.

A couple of things to consider. Are you going to reuse your old windshield or use a replacement glass? Some of the newer replacement glass is not as thick as the original glass, so it is much tougher to prevent leaks. Go with a name brand of glass if at all possible. If your going to use a glass installer, check with them as they may want to source there gasket, but the Precision gaskets work well for these applications. And one other thing is to read up on the installation that the Factory Service Manuals covers. Items like the use of the bedding caulk is covered and it will make for a much better installation.

Auto Transport Service
Back