• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield Wipers - Inspection

Got it!!!

IMG_5627.JPG

Man...I can't win...I bought a 2 speed wiper motor to replace the 3 speed motor, because it seems 3 speeds are not to be found except on ebay.

I got the 2 speed in and realized the linkage where it attaches to the motor is different for a 2 speed vs a 3 speed (see pics). The 3 speed motor has a larger platform on the motor for the linkage to sit on than the 2 speed.

I can send back the 2 speed, but am having trouble finding a 3 speed motor for under $500. Is there a way to adapt the 3 speed wiper linkage to a 2 speed motor?

IMG_5628.JPG
IMG_5629.JPG
IMG_5630.JPG

Man...I can't win...I bought a 2 speed wiper motor to replace the 3 speed motor, because it seems 3 speeds are not to be found except on ebay.

I got the 2 speed in and realized the linkage where it attaches to the motor is different for a 2 speed vs a 3 speed (see pics). The 3 speed motor has a larger platform on the motor for the linkage to sit on than the 2 speed.

I can send back the 2 speed, but am having trouble finding a 3 speed motor for under $500. Is there a way to adapt the 3 speed wiper linkage to a 2 speed motor?

View attachment 1341793View attachment 1341794View attachment 1341795
I don't think so but having read your thread from the beginning, it seems you have to make up your mind what you want. You said you have a 2 speed switch and a 3 speed motor. Your 3 speed motor would probably work fine if you replaced that 2 speed switch with a 3 speed switch. Your wiring harness is already set up for a 3 speed switch (which has an extra spade). You will find an extra brown wire in you harness that goes on the 3 speed switch. If you want to keep your 2 speed switch, you need a 2 speed motor and crank arm. The 3 speed arm is shorter and is clocked different from the 2 speed crank. Somewhere I have a picture of the difference between the 2 speed and 3 speed crank arm. If I find it, I will add it.

I found a pic of the different arm with clocking. The top one is a 2 speed and bottom is a 3 speed.

100_0372.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think so but having read your thread from the beginning, it seems you have to make up your mind what you want. You said you have a 2 speed switch and a 3 speed motor. Your 3 speed motor would probably work fine if you replaced that 2 speed switch with a 3 speed switch. Your wiring harness is already set up for a 3 speed switch (which has an extra spade). You will find an extra brown wire in you harness that goes on the 3 speed switch. If you want to keep your 2 speed switch, you need a 2 speed motor and crank arm. The 3 speed arm is shorter and is clocked different from the 2 speed crank. Somewhere I have a picture of the difference between the 2 speed and 3 speed crank arm. If I find it, I will add it.

I found a pic of the different arm with clocking. The top one is a 2 speed and bottom is a 3 speed.

View attachment 1341846
Thanks sixpactogo!! That allows me to verify I have a 3 speed motor and linkage and the 2 speed motor just plain won't work on it. I'm going to have to find a new (refurbished I guess) 3 speed motor. The one I had worked except it won't park and therefore fails inspection.

I found one for $450 so I guess Ill just bite the bullet and get it...

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll let you know when I get it through inspection and can actually drive it!!

Bob
IMG_5635.JPG

Thanks sixpactogo!! That allows me to verify I have a 3 speed motor and linkage and the 2 speed motor just plain won't work on it. I'm going to have to find a new (refurbished I guess) 3 speed motor. The one I had worked except it won't park and therefore fails inspection.

I found one for $450 so I guess Ill just bite the bullet and get it...

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll let you know when I get it through inspection and can actually drive it!!

BobView attachment 1341883
You said you have a 2 speed switch...........That would be a great reason why your 3 speed motor won't park. I would get a 3 speed switch before throwing money at any other parts. You're gonna need one to make a $450.00 motor park anyway.

Are you positive you have a 2 speed switch in the car now?

Are you positive you have a 2 speed switch in the car now?
Not anymore…dash is labeled Off, Low and High. Went throu the motions and there is an extra click. Definitely a 3 speed switch.

So you just need to fix your 3 speed motor, or buy another one.

Major league shout out to Tommy White at Parts Hound!!! He had the patience of a saint to work with me on getting my wipers to function properly.

Highly recommend him for any of your electrical parts needs!!

IMG_5701.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back