• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper linkage question

vegiguy

Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
I'm having trouble figuring out what parts I'm missing for the wiper linkage on my '73 RR project. How do the linkage rods connect to the pivots and what hardware is needed to put it together? Is anyone selling these parts new or do you have to get them off of a salvage car? I have the pivot, rods, motor and wipers, but nothing else for some reason. There are remnants of something hard (like plastic bits) around the pivot points, but nothing usable.

Thanks for any help.

Two speed or three speed wiper motor? There's a different mount there depending on motor, but the rest takes the same bushing. They were available in the HELP section at auto parts stores, but can be had on ebay or other places online.

s-l300.jpg

These bushings were used up into the '90's, so they're not year specific.

how-to-replace-chrysler-wiper-bushings.jpg

Two speed or three speed wiper motor? There's a different mount there depending on motor, but the rest takes the same bushing. They were available in the HELP section at auto parts stores, but can be had on ebay or other places online.

View attachment 1176494

View attachment 1176495
I forget if it's 2 or 3 speed. I'll look into the Help parts. Thanks again.

Do you have a manual?

Do you have a manual?
Yes, I have a factory service manual.

I got everything put back together and working, but the wipers still don't seem to be working right. They just go back and forth and won't park when i turn them off. They stop wherever they are on their stroke when I shut them off. All the other modern cars I've worked on finish the stroke they are on when you turn them off then park against their stops, usually more or less out of sight when the hood is shut.

What 72RoadrunnerGTX said

2-speed motors also have a park switch contacts in them, just not as easy to get to. Have you gone through the diagnostic procedure for the motor as spelled out in the service manuals?

Send motor out for rebuild

View attachment 1176494

View attachment 1176495

My 74 has the linkage only attached to the driver side arm. So I discovered that I need a connecting bushing, which I picked up from ABC Auto Parts in town (had to order a pair but it only took a day to get there from Dallas). But I distinctly remember seeing somewhere in a diagram someplace that there is also a flat metal plate or clip or something that goes either under the bushing or under the linkage or something like that. So I am wondering if I am mistaken here or if I am missing a part?

My 74 has the linkage only attached to the driver side arm. So I discovered that I need a connecting bushing, which I picked up from ABC Auto Parts in town (had to order a pair but it only took a day to get there from Dallas). But I distinctly remember seeing somewhere in a diagram someplace that there is also a flat metal plate or clip or something that goes either under the bushing or under the linkage or something like that. So I am wondering if I am mistaken here or if I am missing a part?

So I installed the bushing, and even though it took 3 people, 2 sets of pliers, a flathead screwdriver, a bunch of baby soap, and some prayers it finally popped into place. Note to self: next time, remove the assembly from the car first. It seems to work okay so far, although when I turn them off they do not go down into their hideaway position (have to physically push them the last bit down). I did not use the "flat metal plate" I mentioned earlier since I didn't have one. Doesn't seem to need it although I'm sure it will let me know if it does as soon as I'm driving in the rain.

Auto Transport Service
Back