• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WIW 383 .030" over short block

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an opportunity to buy a rebuilt 1969 383 .030" over, and seller is stating it has 10.5 to 1 flat top pistons.
It's just the short block. Rebuilt 10 years ago and stored well. No machine shop paperwork. What do you think it's worth? Thanks!

IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg
IMG_0443.jpg

Did the owner state why it was built no further? I bought a long block 440 for 250.00 But I knew it had to be blown apart and rebuilt. With no paper work you won't know much about the block other than it has flat top pistons... You don't know if it has been magged or 0 decked or what they did to it. Probably to me worth around 400 to 500 bucks.

Did the owner state why it was built no further? I bought a long block 440 for 250.00 But I knew it had to be blown apart and rebuilt. With no paper work you won't know much about the block other than it has flat top pistons... You don't know if it has been magged or 0 decked or what they did to it. Probably to me worth around 400 to 500 bucks.
Yeah sadly if you can't come out with facts, it's hard to instill confidence. Even if I hear it's built by so and so, that might help if you know them.
I would want to
Research the piston
Measure deck height
Check a main and rod bearing shell
500-1000 depending

pull some caps look at the crank and bearings. Was it balanced? Look at the rods and pistons from the bottom.

If a B engine is decked the stamped numbers on the top pad will be gone or thin.

zero decked is not always necessary or a good thing depending what you want In the compression Ratio.

Since it has no cam in it have a look at the cam bearings while you are inspecting it.

Thank you all for the responses!
I think I am going to pass on it.
I don't have enough information to offer anything remotely close to seller's asking price - which is over 3 times the price @3white74 paid for a similar 383 short block.

I just found this on your local Craigslist. I didnt read it. But its a 440

And Another 383 here

Last edited:
FWIW, there were never any 10.5:1 flat top pistons available for a 383.

I would never want to run a short block that was built and sat around for 10 years. Piston rings do not like sitting in one place for that long.

You made a wise choice in passing on it for more reason other than the cost. It would need to have been torn apart anyway before I would have ever used it.

Tom

Auto Transport Service
Back