• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiw - '72 rr

dfrazz

Local time
5:58 PM
Reaction score
I'm interested in your feedback on value and issues with this '72 RR. I am in conversations with the owner, and think the Bid Now is too high but am not sure how high. Thanks for your help!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Plymouth-Road-Runner-/151843588926?redirect=mobile&nma=true&si=k0plgYlRSc1FehowquSoEhAO3c0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This 1972 Plymouth Road Runner GTX is loaded with options some are factory installed and some I have added over the years.440 not numbers match but matching-numbers transmission HEMI 4-speed. Original TB3 (Petty Blue), very rare. 3.54 Trac-Pac DANA rear. Factory tachometer, Tuff wheel, strato ventilation, bucket seats, power steering, power disc brakes, hood pins, rear strobe stripe, rear defroster. I have added console, AM/FM/Cassette, 6-way seat, power windows, Air Grabber hood, front and rear spoilers, rubber bumpers, rear window louver and machine gun exhaust tips. One of 219 produced with 4-speed. It is the only '72 RR/GTX like it on planet earth. Includes Govier Report, shows only 2 of the 4 speeds known to exist in Petty Blue. This is truly a one of a kind investment grade mopar. Runs and drives as good as it looks. Also have factory rallyes and BFGs if buyer wants them instead of aftermarket wheels that are on it.

When the seller tells you how rare it is I usually know I'm going to get bent over. A lot incorrect on it and a lot dolled up.
Not matching, big wheels, 73 valve covers, reproduction radiator,wrong alternator, regulator, airfilter. Dash board looks painted to much shine, woodgrain looks painted/redone. Throw in all the good options it wasn't born with and then a color you have to love to buy. Without seeing the suspension and bottom 35 tops.
Ron

59 is high. Galen Go VA is irrelevant. Love the car though.

imo thats alot of cheese for a nom no n96 72 runner
with a bunch of 71 options thrown on it.
i'm not saying its a bad car,it appears to be very nice looking indeed
i'm just trying to get up to that price in my head and i can't do it.
unless maybe i had a big boner for the color
mid 30's - 40 maybe if i had to have it.

myself i would have to ungoober all the 71 stuff off it
i think it sorta takes away from it.
it is a cool car on its own.
for comparison
the other petty 72 i've seen in pa has a white gut n96
i think he wanted/got was asking mid 40's? iirc
it was a really really nice car.

- - - Updated - - -

Now show us the build sheet so we can really access its value. What makes these unique is everything that was not mentioned and how much has been destroyed by modern updates just decrees its value.

I have one of these myself and to be honest about it the Petty Blue does nothing to its value. If you like it fine, but are you trying to sell the Petty name or the color blue?

Nice car, but waaaaaay too much. If you have that much of a woodrow for it, offer 33 and pay 36, absolute tops.

Thanks for your feedback guys. I was thinking mid to upper $30s as well, but it is always good to get opinions from you guys that are more familiar with the 71-72 RRs. The owner is sticking with his number in the high $50's so I told him best of luck.

Curious on those "73 valve covers" in the picture as to the differences from '72 to '73.

If I was asked to put a price on mine by someone whom thought he just had to have it it would be considerably more. It a also way closer to original but not numbers matching. I have also never seen another like mine in 40 years of ownership.

So my take is the owner may feel the same of his as i do mine. It makes it more valuble to me but not the market. That and the fact I would never be able to replace it. But would I spend that on another "no".

Just, Value your AAR Clone as high as his car...LOL

I actually like it & all the upgrades & non #'s stuff doesn't really bother me either,
I'm more of a day 2 type guy anyway...

but IMO the price is "way too unrealistically high", for what it is, to me anyway...

If you have a decent AAR Clone
IMO it would be a decent swap for both parties, if they are in equal condition...

remember it's an asking price, not the sale price
may not be as negotiable as I'd want it to be,
don't know if you don't try...

People sometime still think because they have spent a ton of money on some project,
that it's somehow always worth the sum of what they spent + some $$$ too &
some more for labor costs or sweat equity added too, for profit too...
When it's more like $0.50 cents on the Dollar, in the real world...

Nice looking car thou, great for 2/3rds or less maybe 1/2 of that asking price...

Everyone seems to want more for their stuff than,
other people are willing to pay for other peoples stuff...

Car prices are always a subjective argument, "it's worth what someone's willing to pay"...
some will pay more than others, there's an *** for every seat, just need to find that ***...LOL

Good luck

I think if the bottom is as nice as the pictures, it could be worth somewhere in the $40s, but it will take time to find the guy that falls in love with it. I like the things he did to it also, and most of that stuff can easily be fixed or reversed if you want.
I would guess the only 72s worth at least what he is asking are one of those 440-6s they let slip out.
If I had the money, I would offer $40k for it, subject to it being nearly immaculate, everything working, etc. It is obviously a rare car, and some people (like myself) love that color.

Auto Transport Service
Back