• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wont start

74roadrunner440

Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
i have a 73 runner in still in the prosess of engine swap from sb to bb but any way had it running b4 harvest it took longer for it to start 4 or 5 pumps of gas had it running again it flooded out was going to adjust the mixtures cranked and cranked wouldnt start finaly it started for a sec then died out now i cant get it started seems somthings wrong i have no spark grabed on to plug wires and coil wires n felt nothing replaced ignition box and ballast still nothing and ideas where to look next only thing i can come up with its still flooed out but y no spark if i crank and grab wires shouldnt i feel a jolt? any help would be helpfull thanks all:angryfire:

- - - Updated - - -

ps started fine before i had t0 quit working on it for harvest work

First thing i would do is clean ALL your connections.. Most of the time if mine started before and it set of some time, that was the problem.. First thing i always check.

First thing i would do is clean ALL your connections.. Most of the time if mine started before and it set of some time, that was the problem.. First thing i always check.

What he said. You probably just bumped something and now the connection is loose or oxidation is now preventing proper contact.

its afresh rebuild u mean all ignition conections? the only prob i had was the stater studd on starter was arching on block so i had to grind some of the studd down to clear the block would that blow a fuse able link? if so how would u tell if its blown would u be able to see if its blown? and i put headers on and difrent plug wires but it ran for a few minutes though so it cant be a plug wires wrong but i did double check that to and played with timing on dist still wont start thanks guys

Just pull off and reseat the bulkhead connections. Check for oxidation. If they are oxidized spay with electronic cleaner, scrub with a wire brush, put some dielectric grease on and reconnect. Also check coil connections, battery connections etc...

Did you try holding a plug wire in your teeth while someone was cranking it? you might feel a jolt then.:toothy6:
Then try pulling a spark plug. If they are completely gas fouled from flooding, you may need to clean or replace them.

ok guys i got her started but not the right way i ran a jumper wire from the pos battery to coil and started n idled just fine !! but does that mean the ballast is toast or somthing else when i did try to start it again to night would not stay running only started for a sec then died right away without jumper wire. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks again every one with there help

ya prety much or a few seconds latter or wont start at all?

- - - Updated - - -

too bad i dont have a extra 4 post just the 1/4ohm dual spade type

- - - Updated - - -

i could try to turn it over with plug wires in my teeth sound like a fun time to be had by all lol

- - - Updated - - -

thanks rebel for ur help

Yep, The ballast resister gives it 12 volts to start it then reverts back to about 7, A lot of guys used to by pass them and run 12 volts all the time, i just smiled everytime they said they had to replace there points again.. these parts are on cars for a reason. Glad, hope you found the problem..

Auto Transport Service
Back