• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wood Grain Steering Wheels

From A to B

Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
Wanted to get some feedback on my research for a wood grain steering wheel for a 68. It seems some 68-69 wood grain steering wheel share the same part number with the '70 in some cases and not in others. Below is what I believe to be a '70 wheel because of the holes in the spoke for the wider horn body due to the larger column due to Ma Mopar moving the ignition to the column in '70. However that part number is found on 68-69 wheels as well
wood wheel 1.jpg

Horn bodies compared below 68-69 on top and 70 on bottom
horn adapter.JPG

The holes on the 70 wheel are covered by the 68-69 horn button adapter
Horn adpter 2.JPG

This 68-69 wheel without the holes in the spokes has the same part number as the '70 wheel in the beginning.
s-l1600.jpg

This '70 wheel has a different part number

70 dif.JPG

That is the part number for the individual spokes, not the complete steering wheel.

Not sure about part numbers right now but yes the 70 wheel has the 3 holes for a black plastic filler you do not have pictured.

Interesting. Two spokes have 2996701 / 83053, the third one has 2925134 / 83053.
Maybe 83053 is the part number and the top number is some form of internal sequence number to the manufacturer?

So from what I have gathered the wood grain steering wheels from 68-70 are interchangeable, however from what I understand there are some variations in color of the wood on the '70 (maybe lighter than the 68-69). Also the horn ring adapter on the '70 is larger at the base due to a larger diameter column due to the ignition now being in the column itself. So a '70 wheel would work on a 68-69 application with the smaller horn wheel adapter applied which happens to cover the holes on the spokes of the '70 wheel. The part number I believe for the '69 horn ring adapter is #2925135. Fantastic!

So from what I have gathered the wood grain steering wheels from 68-70 are interchangeable, however from what I understand there are some variations in color of the wood on the '70 (maybe lighter than the 68-69). Also the horn ring adapter on the '70 is larger at the base due to a larger diameter column due to the ignition now being in the column itself. So a '70 wheel would work on a 68-69 application with the smaller horn wheel adapter applied which happens to cover the holes on the spokes of the '70 wheel. The part number I believe for the '69 horn ring adapter is #2925135. Fantastic!

This is the '70 only spacer that goes in those holes..

Steering Wheel Spacer Ring W/ Clips 1970 A B Body W/ Wood Grain Wheel | eBay

Auto Transport Service
Back