• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Woodstock Co-Producer Michael Lang Dead at 77

VFilms

Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
They say if you remember Woodstock, you really weren't there. I was, and in 1992 I began production on a documentary film, 'Creating Woodstock', which tells the back story of the 1969 Woodstock Music Festival. Among the more than 50 hours of interviews I shot over a 25 year period is a two hour interview with Co-Producer Michael Lang. He was the face of Woodstock. He was also a polarizing figure. Very charming, but there was always doubt about his sincerity. Michael Lang died over the weekend at age 77.
Just a side note: In 1993 I restored the BSA motorcycle in this photo for Michael. It now sits in the Woodstock Museum in White Lake NY.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/woodstock-festival-co-creator-michael-lang-dead-77

lang.jpeg

I was less than a month old when Woodstock went down. But the original documentary I have seen like 50 times. It never gets old to me. The music is awesome. Always remember seeing this guy. RIP.

I was less than a month old when Woodstock went down. But the original documentary I have seen like 50 times. It never gets old to me. The music is awesome. Always remember seeing this guy. RIP.
Interesting side note about Michael Wadleigh's 1970 film 'Woodstock', Oscar winning Director Martin Scorsese was part of the film crew. He was an NYU student at the time.

Definitely a notable time in America. RIP sir may God rest your soul. The music during that era is some of best. 440'

I remember being a nine year old, living in the Canadian Arctic, seeing Woodstock on the news. The scale of it was amazing, and I knew even at that young age that times were changing and history was being made. Some of the best live performances ever. Sly and The Family Stone, Santana, The Who...
My daughter has a Woodstock poster on her wall. I listen to the soundtrack and watch the movie a few times per year. It never gets old, never will.

I remember being a nine year old, living in the Canadian Arctic, seeing Woodstock on the news. The scale of it was amazing, and I knew even at that young age that times were changing and history was being made. Some of the best live performances ever. Sly and The Family Stone, Santana, The Who...
My daughter has a Woodstock poster on her wall. I listen to the soundtrack and watch the movie a few times per year. It never gets old, never will.
The festival was originally to be held in Wallkill NY until a law was passed shuting down the festival, which is when they found Yasgur's farm in White Lake. This is the original poster produced by artist David Byrd. Note is says Wallkill not White Lake and looks nothing like Arnold Skolnick's iconic bird and guitar poster that your daughter has.

wallkill.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently came across this book while packing for a move. It was purchased in my youth.

00A230FF-F5DE-4418-BCB3-DF019241E76B.jpeg 97F661ED-B22F-4998-80A4-CA4C0A3B361D.jpeg

Always wondered why some of the performances were never released on video. Some not on audio either. Mountain, CCR, The Dead, Johnny Winter (there is audio).

It's a shame to say but most of the performers that where part of it are also no longer with us.

Always wondered why some of the performances were never released on video. Some not on audio either. Mountain, CCR, The Dead, Johnny Winter (there is audio).
Janis’ audio was not recorded properly because the sound engineer fell asleep during her performance. Many of the performers did not appear in the film as they refused to sign a release before they got paid, but there was no money to pay them.

I interviewed Leslie West and he told me he was pissed that Ten Years After was in the film and not Mountain. It still bothered him 30 years later.

Last edited:
Definitely a magic moment in time for me! 18 and just out of high school. Wanted to go and had the means, a 63 plymouth at the time, but couldn't find anyone who wanted to go! Afterwards, seeing all the traffic jams, thought maybe it was for the better. Really wanted the brown acid though! After time in the US Army a few friends and myself had our o\wn woodstock type gathering. We camped like a bunch of hippies for most of that summer of '75. Better times for sure! ruffcut

When I was in my mid twenties I went out with a girl who was ten years my senior. She had been at Woodstock. She refused to talk to me about it because she said it made the difference in our ages more obvious. It drove me nuts, I had so many questions. But she would say nothing, and would get uptight if I kept after it. Can you imagine? If I was at Woodstock not only would I wear tee shirts that said “I was at Woodstock”, but I would have bumper stickers and a large wagon that I would pull behind me with a lighted sign that said “I was at Woodstock!”
Ah well...

RIP Woodstock dude, outlived most all the stars

We lived a couple of hours from there at the time (Albany area). I was only 6, then. My oldest brother was going to go, but he had to work that weekend. My older sister's husband did go, but he really doesn't remember much about it. LOL

I've watched the movie many times - love the music. Lang was an interesting guy - R.I.P. I'd like to see your film, VFilms. I always find the behind the scenes stories very interesting.

Auto Transport Service
Back