• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrong names for restaurants.

coronet68mx

Local time
12:46 AM
Reaction score
Due to vacation he are staying in La Paz baja California @Dibbons recommended me a restaurant named Bismarckcito ( little Bismarck) I thought the name was in honor of Otto Von Bismarck ( wich is odd because is in mexico) so i ask the waitress why that name? The answer was because of history, obviously she doesn't know why, then i saw this paint,
20240329_153426.jpg

I love WWII history and I know this battleship history very well, but it was a NAZI war ship, why or who named this, ignorance or a nazi fanatic? Who knows....

Wellllllll, half the high ranking Nazi's did escape to somewhere in South America back around 1945... Who knows where they wound up after that...

Wasn't the Bismarck named after Otto? If so, you were right, in a roundabout way. :lol:

Bismarck was named for Otto.
Tirpitz was named for Admiral Tirpitz, father of the High Seas Fleet.
Graf Spee was named for Count Von Spee, winner at Coronel, loser at Falklands

I'm not sure which Admiral Hood, the Hood was named after. There were at least two.

Last edited:
Speaking of wrong names for restaurants ...this is a genuine sign at the Middlemore Hospital here in Auckland....

1711833800385.jpeg

Sink the Bismarck.... and the painting is the Hood? Lol. (My apologies for all the men who lost their lives, on both ships).

Bismarck was named for Otto.
Tirpitz was named for Admiral Tirpitz, father of the High Seas Fleet.
Graf Spee was named for Count Von Spee, winner at Coronel, loser at Falklands
The Graff von spee is a fascinating story how the allies hunt down the ship and the captain decide to sink it outside Montevideo, saving all the ship crew.

Last edited:

I loved that song as a kid, played it over & over again...

I'm of German decent too,
I just liked Johnny Horton, patriotic
(Battle of New Orleans, was great too)
my stepdad was a fan too, it was his record & turntable

Wasn't the Bismarck named after Otto? If so, you were right, in a roundabout way. :lol:
Pues si pero que pendejada nombrar a un restaurante así, por cierto La Paz vale totalmente la pena venir la ciudad y el puerto esta hermoso, para que traigas a tu familia cabron, un abrazo fuerte pinché Mario.

I wonder how many people know the Belgrano survived Pearl Harbor attack (under a different name, USS Phoenix), and is the only ship ever sunk by a nuclear submarine.

I wonder how many people know the Belgrano survived Pearl Harbor attack (under a different name, USS Phoenix), and is the only ship ever sunk by a nuclear submarine.
That used to be a joke in Britain when I was over there.....survived the Pearl Harbour attack, was sold to the Argies, only for the British to sink it. :lol:

I wish I could find the Spitting Image version of Margaret Thatcher saying "Sink the Belgrano". I remember watching it live over there on TV.

Pues si pero que pendejada nombrar a un restaurante así, por cierto La Paz vale totalmente la pena venir la ciudad y el puerto esta hermoso, para que traigas a tu familia cabron, un abrazo fuerte pinché Mario.
Una gran pendejada. lol

Unos de estos dias nos vamos a ir a Mexico, y tu va hacer el primero q le voy a dejar saber cabron. Abrazos fuerte de aqui para uds tambien, Leon.

We used to hang out with our cruisers at Sambos, back in the 70's.

1711898021035.png

Sambo's had good food cheap, (breakfasts were really good) and 10 cent coffee.

Just like starbucks.

Auto Transport Service
Back