• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrong rear bumper?

Nope. Traded in two sets of cores for the re-chromed ones.

Hopefully gets things resolved later this month.

My 64 bumper Isn't usable. It's straight (no dents) but has been in storage for a long time and has considerable corrosion. Wouldn't be a fair swap. There is another possibility for your situation and I'll check tomorrow AM. You may be able to re drill your brackets to match the bumper. Since I have both types and they are out of the car it'll be an easy job. May be that the only diff is in the hole location. I know how pricey chrome jobs are.

Thanks, KarNut46. I was ranting a bit out of frustration.

This BS bit should not have happened to begin with. Getting conflicting info from them...saying they DO know the dif between bumpers. Then...why the hell do I have what I have? Doesn't help someone from there telling an exchange can be done at blah blah car show...then being told they NEVER go to that show.

I'll have the right part, or my $ back. Guess I'll believe it when I see it. Holds true why I don't trust many.

Miller: Checked out both bumpers and brackets this AM. Outer bracket is the culprit. The 64 outer is about 1" shorter than the 63 & 65. I'm going to post an informational set of pics later if I can figure out how to use the wife's camera. Mine bit the dust at the MoPar nats this year. Try to locate a set of 63-65 outer brackets. Least costly path to follow. I've been in the same pickle as you, only the reverse. My 65 had a corroded rear bumper so I bought a rechromed unit for my 65 (actually a 63) and found that the brackets were wrong. Then had to hunt out a set of 63-65 brackets. Someone had put on a bumper assy off of a 64. Probably a body shop.

Much thanks for that, KarNut46!

Problem is...already shelled out a wad of hard gotten money. The hell with it.
I'll settle for the 'right' rear bumper...and be done with it.

Out of all this dust, at least maybe it will help anybody else, on the bumper bit.

Please post that info and pics of the brackets it will be huge help down the road for people.
I know it would have helped me a couple weeks ago.

Miller: Checked out both bumpers and brackets this AM. Outer bracket is the culprit. The 64 outer is about 1" shorter than the 63 & 65. I'm going to post an informational set of pics later if I can figure out how to use the wife's camera. Mine bit the dust at the MoPar nats this year. Try to locate a set of 63-65 outer brackets. Least costly path to follow. I've been in the same pickle as you, only the reverse. My 65 had a corroded rear bumper so I bought a rechromed unit for my 65 (actually a 63) and found that the brackets were wrong. Then had to hunt out a set of 63-65 brackets. Someone had put on a bumper assy off of a 64. Probably a body shop.

Miller: Answered your ques about 64 bumper but It didn't take for some reason. 64 rear bumper has been in storage a bunch of years and is really corroded. Wouldn't be a fair swap. Know what you mean about getting wrong parts. Really frustrating. Dug out all the brackets and put both bumpers next to each other. 63, 64, 65 inner brackets all the same. 64 outer bracket about 1" shorter. Still trying to get a set of pics to post.

Thanks a bunch, for your time, KarNut46! The differences are something I hadn't thought about before.

At least all of us have good answers now. Off hand, gotta wonder if the overall length of the rear bumpers are the same?
But, neither here, or there...just looking at getting the right one, and be done with it.

Really appreciate your time for checking!!

Here are some pics of the brackets & bumpers that show the diff between the years. Note that measurements are to a radius so they are close to about 1/8". Inner bracket for all 3 years appear to be nearly identical minus mfg. tolerances. Outer bracket is about 1" shorter and has a different angle at the chassis mount end. I measured the outer bolt hole off of the end of the concave area at the end of the bumper, just where the concave surface rounds off and ends. Hope this will help anyone searching for a bumper or brackets. Keep in mind that someone selling one or the other may be unaware of the difference so always check. Dimension on outer bolt hole didn't show up very well. 63-65 is 4 1/4, 64 is 5 1/2.
IMG_0918.jpgIMG_0909.jpgIMG_0905.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back