• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: 440 Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

FridayGt

Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
Contact seller
WTB: 440 Engine Block

I'm looking for a budget 440. I've got some narly cracks in mine and epoxy isn't going to cut it anymore, not to mention that it's just tired to begin with. I want a fresh start before I start looking into other aspects of the car.

So, if you're in the Delaware area, let me know what you've got. I would prefer between '68 - '72 HP long block with a steel crank, but like I said, I'm on a budget, so I'll take any built or short block into consideration based on price. So, if you're selling, please let me know all the vital details and your asking price. Pictures would help as well, let me know if you need my e-mail address.

I would prefer very nearby as I would need to arrange transportation to the shop and don't have a truck personally.

Last edited:
Hmmm, that's almost as bare as it gets isn't it? lol. Seriously though, that's just about 45 mins from my house. I think I may just give this guy a call! Now I just need to learn how to build... lol.

Still looking. Although now I've got plugs fouling relentlessly and what sounds like valve probelms. Looking for an entire long block now. The very little I don't need is valve covers, carb, intake, oil pan, ignition, alternator and so on. Just the motor, unless it's a fresh crate with some kind of warranty, I'll want to be able to hear it run and bring my mechanic to check it out.

Let me know.

Monday bump, still looking. Let me know what you have and what you're looking to get for it.

What's up with that block in Jersey? 150 is pretty cheap....

What's up with that block in Jersey? 150 is pretty cheap....

I now need everything. Just after starting this thread, my engine took a complete dump. Valves started knocking and plugs started fouling out. Pulled the plugs and they were swimming in oil. I figured there's no sense in repairing a very cracked block, and now the internals are mostly shot. Estimate from my shop that has really earned my trust is near $2K for repairs, so just not money wisely spent. I now need everything except the following;

Oil pan with windage tray
valve covers
intake manifold
holley 750 cfm Vac secondary
distributer
electronic ignition
pulley's
belts
air cleaner
fan
alternator

Between my mechanic, a car buddy and myself, we have a few lines on a few engines. One is actually a stroker 440, but nothing is set in stone yet and is mostly talk, so I'm still looking.

Although, once I lick my wounds from all the money I've had to pour into these nice little surprises that keep popping up, I'm probably going to look for a block like that in my area again. I need to learn and understand more about my engine, and I imagine a pretty good way might be to start trying to build one from scratch and doing all of the research involved. It actually sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks a lot for posting these. I really do appreciate the help! I'll have to loook into those next. Thank you!

Too bad you're so far away. I have a standard bore 440 from a 70 Chrysler. It was a very low miles engine and all I did was check it for square and honed the cylinders for moly rings, checked the crank for true, polished it and installed new bearings. It has closed chambered heads (516) that have 2.08/1.74 valves, mild port work, titanium retainers, Hemi grind cam and 10.3-1 compression. I was going to use it in a truck but ended up selling the truck. It's been bagged and stored in a clean room for years. May was well sell it since I don't have a use for it. My new to me truck is diesel powered and gets 25 mpg on the highway running 70 and weighs 6100 lbs. Do that with a 440 lol.

Too bad you're so far away. I have a standard bore 440 from a 70 Chrysler. It was a very low miles engine and all I did was check it for square and honed the cylinders for moly rings, checked the crank for true, polished it and installed new bearings. It has closed chambered heads (516) that have 2.08/1.74 valves, mild port work, titanium retainers, Hemi grind cam and 10.3-1 compression. I was going to use it in a truck but ended up selling the truck. It's been bagged and stored in a clean room for years. May was well sell it since I don't have a use for it. My new to me truck is diesel powered and gets 25 mpg on the highway running 70 and weighs 6100 lbs. Do that with a 440 lol.

Aw man, Cranky, that would be perfect! If I was still stationed in San Antonio, I would be all about it. I'm trying to find one that's within about 100 miles or so, so that my mechanic can come with me to check it out (this dude rocks). I'm actually considering a crate that's in Michigan though. I have a close car buddy up there that know's of one that someone picked up stroked out with a bunch of work done, but went a different direction and no longer wants it. Downside is, it's not looking like it'll work out. I think it seems like he's rethinking selling it, sucks, but I can't blame the guy. So, I'm trying to look in other directions again.

Monday bump to start the week off. My poor Roadrunner still sits there with no engine. Prepare yourselves for this travisty; She has fresh rear tires with brand new tread. So sad. I just need an engine to correct that problem... lol.

I know it isnt quite local, but its just about ready to be dropped in:
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=25731

If i remember right, its an early 70s block (want to say 72, but not 100% sure). Just about everything is brand new except the rods, crank, block and head castings.

If your interested in even making an offer, or want more pics, or any more info, shoot me a PM and ill give you my dad's phone number.

I know it isnt quite local, but its just about ready to be dropped in:
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=25731

If i remember right, its an early 70s block (want to say 72, but not 100% sure). Just about everything is brand new except the rods, crank, block and head castings.

If your interested in even making an offer, or want more pics, or any more info, shoot me a PM and ill give you my dad's phone number.

Thanks for the offer. I'm defenitely going to keep this in mind, but for right now I'm trying to stick to engines within about 100 miles so that my Mechanic can go with me to hear it run and or inspect it. I have taken a gander at engines that would have required frieght, but those were generally crate's or strong long block's with some kind of warranty or guarantee.

Monday bump to start the week off. My poor Roadrunner still sits there with no engine. Prepare yourselves for this travisty; She has fresh rear tires with brand new tread. So sad. I just need an engine to correct that problem... lol.
I've got a 440 long block w/cast crank I'll give you. If someone is coming to the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona this Thanksgiving holiday they can take it back to you. Hope this helps!

I've got a 440 long block w/cast crank I'll give you. If someone is coming to the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona this Thanksgiving holiday they can take it back to you. Hope this helps!

HOLY CRAP!

PM incoming! lol

Purchase pending... Thanks folks!

sold.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back