• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your best side by side race?

There's been several but the most memorable was in 70. I was running a 14.80 66 Belvedere in E/A2 and know that ET wasn't good for that class. All I wanted to do was go drag racing with whatever I could. Got paired with a VW Bug running B/MP for a double trophy run. We both came off the line together and didn't expect him to be there for long but the only reason why I beat him is because of his shifting. He fell back a good foot on each shift. I gained a different perspective for VW's that day.....

In 2000 my wife and I took the daily drivers to the track...a 2000 Durango with a teen and 3.90 gears against my 95 V6 Dakota with 3.55. Huge weight difference (about 1300 lbs!) and the vehicles were 2 tenths apart with the Dakota being slower. She took me in round 1 but I deep staged on her for the 2nd and that rattled her pretty good. Thing is she pulled up on me on the top end but I guess it ran out of steam at that point because it didn't keep it up. She was pissed and didn't want to go for round 3 lol Memory #2

In 93 I was running my /6 Belvedere and driving it to work too and one night some guy in a Mustang pulled up beside me at a light on the way home from work and started laughing at the car. It was looking like a rat rod before the term was popular around here. Light turned green and I put over 2 car lengths on him before he could gather up his smugness. I was actually surprised he even bothered but y'all know what being smug does. Anyways, took a day of vaca to go to the bracket race the following night and guess who is there? Mr. Smug Mustang Owner and 'somehow' he got paired with me during eliminations :D and nailed his butt with a really good light and ran the numbers. He wasn't happy either but oh well. Memory #3

Had a lot of good races with my old 10.60 car too but nothing that made me smile like the 3 above. :)

Last edited:
There's been several but the most memorable was in 70. I was running a 14.80 66 Belvedere in E/A2 and know that ET wasn't good for that class. All I wanted to do was go drag racing with whatever I could. Got paired with a VW Bug running B/MP for a double trophy run. We both came off the line together and didn't expect him to be there for long but the only reason why I beat him is because of his shifting. He fell back a good foot on each shift. I gained a different perspective for VW's that day.....

In 2000 my wife and I took the daily drivers to the track...a 2000 Durango with a teen and 3.90 gears against my 95 V6 Dakota with 3.55. Huge weight difference (about 1300 lbs!) and the vehicles were 2 tenths apart with the Dakota being slower. She took me in round 1 but I deep staged on her for the 2nd and that rattled her pretty good. Thing is she pulled up on me on the top end but I guess it ran out of steam at that point because it didn't keep it up. She was pissed and didn't want to go for round 3 lol Memory #2

In 93 I was running my /6 Belvedere and driving it to work too and one night some guy in a Mustang pulled up beside me at a light on the way home from work and started laughing at the car. It was looking like a rat rod before the term was popular around here. Light turned green and I put over 2 car lengths on him before he could gather up his smugness. I was actually surprised he even bothered but y'all know what being smug does. Anyways, took a day of vaca to go to the bracket race the following night and guess who is there? Mr. Smug Mustang Owner and 'somehow' he got paired with me during eliminations :D and nailed his butt with a really good light and ran the numbers. He wasn't happy either but oh well. Memory #3

Had a lot of good races with my old 10.60 car too but nothing that made me smile like the 3 above. :)
Some of my best side by side has been at OTB. Off Track Betting.

Here's a couple close one's from Sunday.
I'm in the right lane #413.
Not real good races but close.
Both against the same car. A very nice 440 Dart, bout a '70 I guess, orange.
1st was dash for cash, no MOV listed cause it was 0.000.
Then again in round 2, but I went to sleep on the line, but broke out by .005.

IMG_20210615_115622547.jpg
IMG_20210615_115853980.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back