• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yup another fender tag deciphering quiz

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
I can’t fish as I don’t have all the information to decipher a fender tag. What I have found is below. Also my fender tag is included. Is there a concise place here on the forum that can provide all the information?

91A22C57-4DFC-4EFC-9B28-045391F5522F.jpeg 63EB2683-5943-4876-AFA3-3F91492A8244.png

Your car wasn't built at Lynch Road.. so don't use a Lynch Road example to decode! Your car was built in LA...

Since you don't have a 440, 4sp, you won't have a dana, 8 1/4 not used till 72, that leaves 7 1/4 or 8 3/4. If you look from the rear of the car, a 7 1/4 will have a bolt-on cover, an 8 3/4 will be smooth.
For ratio, there are lots of videos on you tube. First thing to do is find if it's a posi (ok, sure grip, sheesh). If it's a sure grip, it's easy, jack up both wheels, turn the tire one revolution, count the driveshaft turns (in neutral).
If open, pick a you tube vid, follow instructions.
Edit: budget build garage, on you tube, explanation for both open and posi. Clear and concise.

Last edited:
That is a nice thing about lynch road tags.. they tell you what axle package is in your car, ratio/unit style and drum size.

Since you don't have a 440, 4sp, you won't have a dana, 8 1/4 not used till 72, that leaves 7 1/4 or 8 3/4. If you look from the rear of the car, a 7 1/4 will have a bolt-on cover, an 8 3/4 will be smooth.
For ratio, there are lots of videos on you tube. First thing to do is find if it's a posi (ok, sure grip, sheesh). If it's a sure grip, it's easy, jack up both wheels, turn the tire one revolution, count the driveshaft turns (in neutral).
Edit: budget build garage, on you tube, explanation for both open and posi. Clear and concise.

Uhhh...The 8 1/4" axle WAS used starting in some late 69 models. My 70 Charger 318 came with an 8 1/4" with 2.71 gears, a buddy with a 70 XH29 Charger is a 383 2 barrel car. His also has the original 8 1/4" axle.

@Kern Dog , thanks for the correction, Google lies to me again!
I wasn't familiar with 8 1/4, never had one, I checked with Google to see when they started, said common in 72 on.
Sorry all for bad info, my bad.

Thanks great info on the diffs. I already determined its open. Because I have the cover mounted on the back I guess this narrows it down to the 7-1/4. Thanks for helping me figure that out. I will create a separate thread on the diff.

@Moparfeind , double check you differential!! Kern Dog pointed out that I was wrong! It might be a 8 1/4. I don't know exactly how to tell a 7 1/4 from an 8 1/4. I've got a seven under my barracuda, but I've never owned a 8 1/4. I'm sure somebody here can tell, or check the interweb. Everything is always true there. (Sarcasm).

@Moparfeind , double check you differential!! Kern Dog pointed out that I was wrong! It might be a 8 1/4. I don't know exactly how to tell a 7 1/4 from an 8 1/4. I've got a seven under my barracuda, but I've never owned a 8 1/4. I'm sure somebody here can tell, or check the interweb. Everything is always true there. (Sarcasm).
Lol I bet Kern Dog will know he is often found crawling around the junk yards when he is on vacation:)

I doubt they would have put a 7 1/4 in a V8 b-body.

I doubt they would have put a 7 1/4 in a V8 b-body.
Yes my research is pointing to either an 8-1/4 or 8-3/4. Still trying to verify which. I am assuming all 8-3/4 used a third member? If so then it’s highly probable its an 8-1/4.

Yes my research is pointing to either an 8-1/4 or 8-3/4. Still trying to verify which. I am assuming all 8-3/4 used a third member? If so then it’s highly probable its an 8-1/4.
Yep all 8-3/4s have a solid rear and the 3rd member unbolts from the frontside, all the others have the bolted-on cover on the rear.
axle.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back