• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Z Alt

mrkinger

Local time
8:18 AM
Reaction score
Anyone out there useing the Z Alt oil.in their car

Last edited:
I recently met a fellow who lives just outside of Houston, who had a hemi built for his 65 Satellite. One or two lobes went flat. He sent the cam back to the builder and when asked what oil he was using, he said Mobil 1. The builder reccomended Z-Alt and he hasn't had any problems since.
FWIW,
Daryl (cwmoss)

Thanks for the info.The problem with regular oil these days ,is they have taken the zinc out of the oil,If you dont have roller rockers your looking for trouble .The new cars have roller.so they dont need the zinc

Just picked up 12 quarts,haven,t done the oil change as planning to change the cam,I,ll use up the last of the Rottela T for the break in. In Ontario paid $60 a case of 6 @ RNBRESTORATIONS 905-321-2111.

Thanks for the info.The problem with regular oil these days ,is they have taken the zinc out of the oil,If you dont have roller rockers your looking for trouble .The new cars have roller.so they dont need the zinc

Roller rockers wont help.You need a roller cam.I use ZDDP additive or Brad Penn oil

Brad Penn break in oil has lots of zinc in it, as does Valvoline VR-1 which has been on sale in some of the big box stores lately.

I'd use a zinc additive like CompCams break in additive along with those oils, just to be safe

The Rotella doesn't have the same zinc levels as it used to but I think if you were to use it with the additive you would be ok.

Roller rockers wont help.You need a roller cam.I use ZDDP additive or Brad Penn oil

thats correct. use valvoline vr1 or brad penn. you'll be fine. without breaking the bank.
solid flat tappet cams need the zinc. also use stp 4 or 6 cylinder oil additive which works great.

Auto Transport Service
Back