• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

You are going to give up timing control by using points and that's one of the best benefits of efi (fitech etc) in my opinion

Day of little victories. The new reproduction Mopar coil did not have the flat spot on the distributor lug to fit the "D" hole in the wire so I fixed that with my dremel tool..

DSC_0061.jpg DSC_0062.jpg DSC_0063.jpg DSC_0064.jpg

Had to go to town for the daughters singing lesson so got to go to the auto parts store to buy the nasty Aviation Sealer for the Tanks Inc tank... nasty nasty stuff... been a long time since I have smelled that smell..

DSC_0066.jpg

I made sure I triple checked the float and resistance values compared to the stock sending unit (which is clearly starting to die).

Then turned to the wiring. I bought a few Delco Weatherpak connectors off eBay and will use them to create quick disconnects at the tank. Simple to solder and assemble. Then cut off the plastic on the lugs and soldered them on to finishing them up with heat shrink tubing and wire runs... I forgot to buy 24 gauge wire at the store so the sending unit will have to wait till later in the week. Note I am going to make one the socket end and one the pin end so there is no chance of plugging the sending unit into the EFI pump controller :)

DSC_0068.jpg
DSC_0069.jpg
DSC_0070.jpg
DSC_0071.jpg
DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0073.jpg

Last one little victory before closing the garage door was installing the fender supports.

DSC_0074.jpg

I love doing wiring and especially soldering. Looks good. I have a can of the avation sealer in the garage, works fantastic on the 727 pan gasket and on the other gaskets and o rings.

Universe is telling me to not spend money on the Coronet today. Ordered Accurate Exhaust system and FiTech from Summit. Two different credit cards, both would not go through for unrelated reasons... One said the bank did not have the address I put on the order (funny that bank has found me to send me bills for the last 13 years) and the other flagged the card as a fraud alert since I had never spent that much on an internet purchase before.... The exhaust has shipped, still waiting to see if the Summit problem is cleared up to send the EFI unit....

Was Summit the best price for the FITECH?

They claim it. I just had a bunch of other items and they have free shipping over $99 and have great return policies it problems arise

Comical but the parts that have been the most pain in the a$$ to come up with is hose clamps. I hate worm gear clamps so I bought the original type from Classic for supposedly the '68 small block (3/4" bypass) but the clamps are clearly for the later models (1") and are too big. Trying to find "period looking" clamps for that 3/4" hose was futile so I decided to look for different clamps for the whole car. It is damn near impossible to find some place that stocks _all_ the different sizes for a '68 small block... I FINALLY found a place that stocked a complete listing of Italian dual ring clamps and now have them on order. They are not factory but they look more stock than worm clamps. In all my years as a mechanic I never saw a worm clamp from the factory.

If you want to know..
http://www.hcl-clamping.com/Double-Wire-Screw-Hose-Clamp-Mollfam-P17

Nothing to see here... nothing but a stock little old 318....

DSC_0076.jpg

Oh my what is this .... Look ma no carburetor......

DSC_0077.jpg
DSC_0078.jpg
DSC_0079.jpg

And if you notice the label on the side of the throttle body just by bolting this on I now have 400HP!

It is like Christmas in February (and the poor house in March)....

What's in the box?

DSC_0080.jpg

Oh my it is from Accurate Exhaust.....

DSC_0081.jpg
DSC_0082.jpg

Way cool. Even down to the original manifold bolts and spin clips!

DSC_0084.jpg
DSC_0085.jpg
DSC_0086.jpg

Look mom I'm a Super Bee!

DSC_0088.jpg
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0090.jpg

Wow, that looks nice. What kind of mufflers come with the kit?

$1100?! Yikes. As nice as your undercarriage is, you won't sleep until it is right. What's another $40?

Yes it was not cheap but it is the nicest aftermarket exhaust I have ever handled. I picked up a pipe and about dropped it on my foot. That is some original gauge steel there.... The box weighed almost 100 lbs. The exhaust itself was $900 and the "Super Bee" tips where add ons plus $160 shipping.... This is a 15% off sale going on too so I was more than that.

And beware cheap chambered mufflers. From my Jegs kit...
20160124_144216.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back