• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

Heater Core from Glen-ray. Fascinating business model. I send them a heater core with my name and return address. A few weeks later I open a box with a rebuilt heater core. Notice that no money, check, credit card information or bill/receipts have been exchanged yet. There was not even a invoice or bill in the returned box! I guess I now call Bob and tell him it arrived and it looks great, so I do I pay you for it?
DSC_0008.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg

What would be a better present to the 500 than to have her actually run and drive out of the garage on her 49th Birthday! :steering:

CAR: Dodge Coronet 500 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 318cid 2-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: 7.75x14 White Side Wall
BUILD DATE: March 23.
AXLE: 2.94 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Premium Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone White Paint.
OTHER: Black Upper Door Frame Color.

MOLDINGS:
19: Wide Sill Mouldings
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
A1: 26in Radiator
H1: Power Brakes
N8: Rear Window Defogger
S1: Air Conditioning
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y6: Black Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
a6: Console
b4: Bucket Seats
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

Heater Core from Glen-ray. Fascinating business model. I send them a heater core with my name and return address. A few weeks later I open a box with a rebuilt heater core. Notice that no money, check, credit card information or bill/receipts have been exchanged yet. There was not even a invoice or bill in the returned box! I guess I now call Bob and tell him it arrived and it looks great, so I do I pay you for it?
View attachment 396936 View attachment 396937

He has said many times that he wants his customers to be happy before he ever charges anything. Great guy, great business. They redid my 26" radiator for my 70 Road Runner and it was a work of art. Not only was it a work of art, it performed flawlessly as I drove my now air conditioned car across country through 90+ degree heat in stop and go traffic. The car never even started to sweat.

I would use Glen-Ray again in a heartbeat. Not cheap, but awesome.

He has said many times that he wants his customers to be happy before he ever charges anything. Great guy, great business. They redid my 26" radiator for my 70 Road Runner and it was a work of art. Not only was it a work of art, it performed flawlessly as I drove my now air conditioned car across country through 90+ degree heat in stop and go traffic. The car never even started to sweat.

I would use Glen-Ray again in a heartbeat. Not cheap, but awesome.

Yes and great sense of humor. Thoroughly enjoyed my interchanges with him.

Dug out the rest of the Detroit Muscle Technology rebuild kit and installed the remaining seals on the Glen-ray heater core
DSC_0010.jpg

Used my fancy Italian hose clamps instead of the worm that were in the kit. The h-valve is a NOS. Should not have any leaks here.
DSC_0011.jpg

Finished up the last heater box door.

DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg

Install the door. Notice the direction, it can go in backwards.... won't tell you why I know.

DSC_0015.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg

"E" clips go on the outside of the box to hold in the shafts

DSC_0018.jpg

Use this assembly process, any other will frustrate you. Place the heater core in the front half of the box (above the AC evaporator). Used the fancy Italian clamps instead of the worm gear clamps in the kit. The h-Valve is a NOS that I got for a good price.

DSC_0019.jpg

Now put the back cover on the box leaving the heater door off as we need to get in there.

DSC_0020.jpg

Connect the linkage that controls the h-valve to the AC door shaft. It only goes one way or it will hit the coolant pipe. The clips are more for anti-rattle than holding the rod on.

DSC_0021.jpg

Last edited:
Now we can put the heater door on.

DSC_0022.jpg

Install the screws that secure the h-valve. NOTE: These are the wrong screws they should be the larger hex head with a screwdriver slot in them!

DSC_0023.jpg

Install the nuts to secure the two halves together.

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Now installed the o-rings (lube them up) and slide on the heater pipes and install the screws.
DSC_0026.jpg

Sand down the drain pipes so the slip on covers slide on by hand.

DSC_0027.jpg

NOTE: Another mistake, the foam seal goes on the steel cap so it will seal between the firewall and the lip on the cap.

DSC_0028.jpg
DSC_0029.jpg

This linkage is like a Chinese finger puzzle. After a few dozen tries looking at my old photos I figured it out.

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

Simple pinch clamp holds on the blower fan.

DSC_0033.jpg

All done... almost... 2 of the 3 door shafts have flat spots that define the position of the linkage. the upper one (that control the defroster ports seen below) has a star washer and can be positioned anywhere. I need to get some vacuum going in a test it to adjust it.

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

Getting it on the firewall is a bear by yourself. That thing is heavy.... Finally succeeded.

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Ready for the power train tomorrow!

DSC_0041.jpg

Looks great . . . ( I can't wait until I'm putting MY car back together instead of taking things apart and fixing stuff )

When I put in the upper ball joints, oh so long ago, I did not install the boots because I could not figure out how. Yesterday I figured it out, gravy.

Here is the blurry problem...
DSC_0042.jpg

Stuff a 4"x4" into keep the UCA from rotating up.

DSC_0045.jpg

Now buy a 2" street 90 degree PCV fitting..

DSC_0046.jpg

Fits perfectly. Lube it up with something.

DSC_0047.jpg

Ready to install.

DSC_0048.jpg

Use it as a driving tool..

DSC_0049.jpg

Few smack and it is on.

DSC_0050.jpg

All Done.

Triple redundant tie straps around the bumper and bumper brackets for the lift.

DSC_0051.jpg

Powertrain lurking in the corner...

DSC_0052.jpg

My newly retired Department of Transportation Supervisor buddy can't break old habits, he has come to "help" (supervise...).

DSC_0053.jpg

Upsy-daisy...

DSC_0054.jpg

HOLY CRAP BATMAN WE HAVE A ROLLER!

Thank goodness the Magnums are coming Monday!!!!!!! While I am at it I think I have those torsion bars wound up a bit too much...

DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0056.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg

Triple redundant tie straps around the bumper and bumper brackets for the lift.

View attachment 397286

Powertrain lurking in the corner...

View attachment 397287

My newly retired Department of Transportation Supervisor buddy can't break old habits, he has come to "help" (supervise...).

View attachment 397288

Upsy-daisy...

View attachment 397289

HOLY CRAP BATMAN WE HAVE A ROLLER!

Thank goodness the Magnums are coming Monday!!!!!!! While I am at it I think I have those torsion bars wound up a bit too much...

View attachment 397290 View attachment 397291 View attachment 397292

Damn that looks good! I have a friend like that too. Very helpful.....at making stuff in my frige disappear.
It was windy as sin last night and rainy today so heads up.

Damn that looks good! I have a friend like that too. Very helpful.....at making stuff in my frige disappear.
It was windy as sin last night and rainy today so heads up.

We were hustling our butts to beat the rain. It is almost here...

OR . . . you have to put a whole lot more motor in the car ? ? ? ( wink, wink . . . )

I think big block owners are compensating for something. :rofl:
Beautiful! It must feel awesome to be this close to the end!!

Actually getting over anxious. Need to make sure I don't take any short cuts

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back