• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 max wedge i.d.stamp decode

I have to agree with chooch that is a rare beast ....finding a std bore is like winning lotto.

By the way here is another high comp Max wedge that also didn't have the 2R and is exactly like yours ,so more confirmation for you :thumbsup:

image.png image.png image.png

Last edited:
I have to agree with chooch that is a rare beast ....finding a std bore is like winning lotto.

By the way here is another high comp Max wedge that also didn't have the 2R and is exactly like yours ,so more confirmation for you :thumbsup:

View attachment 399528 View attachment 399529 View attachment 399530
nice parts,,,but when u say HC..Don't u mean 12.5-1?or 13.5-1 as far as the 63's go.your i.d. pad is for a low comp 11-1 motor.i could be wrong but if it were 13.5 it would say HC...don't go telling greg lane all this..he would have to rewrite his website..

here's some others I have for you to compare with.
these is a very early block with a 697 cast & stamped 426 it was never apart with original head gaskets all factory original yes its another weird factory build, no 2R
Before anybody asks NO There not for sale

20160309_113807.jpg mw 22.png mw 24.png View attachment 399537

Last edited:
here's some of my early hc block it doesn't have the 2R either

280.JPG 281.JPG

here's another one hopefully to soon be mine & no 2R on the front.

20160402_135556.jpg 20160402_135853.jpg

these is a very early block with a 697 cast & stamped 426 it was never apart with original head gaskets all factory original yes its another weird factory build, no 2R

View attachment 399534 View attachment 399535 View attachment 399536 View attachment 399537
wow,,nice collection...funny thing about Chrysler was that they have the same casting numbers for both the 413 and 426 motors...2205697..I have the same block that was factory shipped as a 413.that I just had bored to stock 426 bore and assembled with fresh R&R #395 max rods and 11-1 max pistons that I will be listing for sale next week.its a V code stamping..1964..AAQA block as well.will probably put it on ebay to reach a large buying group.$$$

Last edited:
that casting date is also 3 days apart from mine as well...
post some pics of it I've only heard of three blocks like mine, here's where the factory painted the new part number in the lifter valley.
btw I don't worry about telling Greg about it since he's the one that got it for me:lol:

1.png 2.png

check it out...they probably had rows of them and the hand truck guy just took them as he see's fit..based upon final assemble I.D. stamp codes..the marine blocks also used similar i.d. stamps like the max's.see pic.also with the 730 AAQA 2R blocks..which is the 1 im currently setting up for my car...it measured at 4.265 .330 thick cylinders...this would have been a perfect race block...those boat guys didn't know what they had.. waiting for the diamond custom pistons.

016.JPG 009.JPG 019.JPG

Before anybody asks NO There not for sale

View attachment 399534 View attachment 399535 View attachment 399536 View attachment 399537
I want to thank u for this pic and info on this assembly...I have the same shortblock with that casting number for sale next week with std bore 11-1 max pistons and rods....was a 413 factory block fresh bored to each 11-1 piston...I had no idea that this block was used in the max applications...I think it just increased in value...good ole Chrysler...go figure..

nice parts,,,but when u say HC..Don't u mean 12.5-1?or 13.5-1 as far as the 63's go.your i.d. pad is for a low comp 11-1 motor.i could be wrong but if it were 13.5 it would say HC...don't go telling greg lane all this..he would have to rewrite his website..

Yeah sorry didn't mean to say High comp (embarrassed)

your first the first two pics are a correct 730 cast 426mw
can you post a pic of the casting number & the block side that belongs the third photo

image.png
Here's is my LC block with the ID pad stamped strangely .....the dash is in the incorrect position .
It is a late 426 ,just prior to the stage II .

Brought this from Clayton Wright (you know him chooch ?) ,I know it's genuine but still peculiar . image.png

Last edited:
your first the first two pics are a correct 730 cast 426mw
can you post a pic of the casting number & the block side that belongs the third photo
check it out...426 marine block..2406730-1 AAQA 2R 3-15-63 assembly date..10-12-62 casting date..xtra heavy duty.came out of a twin engine boat..its going back to the machine shop Monday awaiting pistons for assembly..and Im picking up my 2205697 shortblock to list for sale..what do u think about the marine block...bores r still std..rust looking..will be bored .015 over with 10.7-1 pistons with stage 3 beautiful heads..

009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 399560 Here's is my LC block with the ID pad stamped strangely .....the dash is in the incorrect position .
It is a late 426 ,just prior to the stage II .

Brought this from Clayton Wright (you know him chooch ?) ,I know it's genuine but still peculiar . View attachment 399563
I thought they all r stamped strangly!that stamp is everything.mine u can hardly read!..it means huge dollars in value between it and the same casting street wedge blocks..i have never seen the stage 2 heads ....casting 2463209...not even a picture.....do they exist?

I'm looking for a TMPHC block. Needing December 62 or January 63 to make my car correct, I have a low comp. block for trade if that would make a deal. Here's the pad on the low comp block.
max block.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back