• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Another development that I questioned whether or not to post but I'm excited as hell about it so why not.... we just doubled are little ones!!! The wife and I have been looking into adoption for awhile now and just found out we're getting siblings (brother and sister). Can't wait, I absolutely love kids and look forward to it but this means putting the accelerator to the floor on the garage!

Congrats on the adoption. Lucky kids!

Thanks Dawg, Nothing bothers me more than kids not being given a fair shake in life so I'm super happy for the opportunity.

"Mail Pouch" on the side? The old ones from the 50's are fading away? lol. Just thinking out of box. Local artist to paint faux windows? Too many brewski's!!
I was thinking "See Rock City" on the roof!

It's official, I didn't beat the weather!!! It's been freezing cold here for the last week with no signs of letting up soon. With the weather went the help so I'm surprisingly putting it up all by myself. Putting 25ft long pieces of siding up yourself is quiet the job.... climbing scaffolding with one arm, pulling the metal up with the other, getting it in J channel on both ends then trying to hold in place with your knee while getting a screw in!!!:realcrazy: I completely smurfed up 1 panel, it had the window cut out and cut around a garge door making it weak and needless to say it folded. It was so much work getting up that I straightened it out and screwed it down but in the daylight (yeah doing it at night too) it looked like complete ****.... it's gotta go.

Good news is I'm finishing it tomorrow and going to figure out a way to get the garage doors monday. So far putting a bucket over the water line has kept the chill out but that's not going to work forever.

Hang in there. Hopefully you can get some last minute help to button it up.

Hang in there. Hopefully you can get some last minute help to button it up.
Not concerned at all, I'm just tickled to death to have had the help and weather that I have so if I rough it out 2 days on my own it's all good.

Have fun with the doors too. I just have a 2 car attached garage, 16 ft doors. Bought a new 2 inch thick fully insulated several years ago. My son (17 or 18 at the time) helped me remove the old wood/fiber door. We then stacked up the new door and tied/strapped in it place until we were able to put the hardware on, new track and new garage door opener up. We have a storm moving in overnight and all day tomorrow. Are you in the path of it too? Saying up to 8 inches up here in Mid-MI.

Have fun with the doors too. I just have a 2 car attached garage, 16 ft doors. Bought a new 2 inch thick fully insulated several years ago. My son (17 or 18 at the time) helped me remove the old wood/fiber door. We then stacked up the new door and tied/strapped in it place until we were able to put the hardware on, new track and new garage door opener up. We have a storm moving in overnight and all day tomorrow. Are you in the path of it too? Saying up to 8 inches up here in Mid-MI.
Looks like it's calling for 90% chance tomorrow and 100% Monday so I guess so. My way of thinking is if it's gonna be cold I'd prefer several inches of snow anyways so bring it on. It will give me an opportunity to try the Can Am out in the snow lol. I like snow, beats the hell out of mud!

It's here!!!!!! Woke up to lots of snow, the only thing this changes is now it muck boots instead of tennis shoes.

At any rate she's done!!! No more siding finally. I don't know which was better finished the block work or this but both kicked my ***..... I do believe life is about to get better with my feet being on the ground from here on out except for a few screws (ran out again). Doors, insulation HEAT!!!!

20161211_170227.jpg

Congratulations! Looks really good. Now get those doors up and use the hell out of it! A lot of people on here would've loved to live closer to come and help.

Congratulations! Looks really good. Now get those doors up and use the hell out of it! A lot of people on here would've loved to live closer to come and help.
Likewise, car guys seam to be that way always offering a hand. Still trying to figure out how to get the garage doors tomorrow but did install the rear man door today.

I had help today, dad came over until it was done. He can't take the cold so he would jump out of his Jeep help me get a panel hung then jump back in lol. Gotta love him!

Thanks

Last edited:
Do you have a car trailer or access to one?
I can get a trailer and borrow my brothers truck but they close early and I work all day...

Last edited:
Likewise, car guys seam to be that way always offering a hand. Still trying to figure out how to get the garage doors tomorrow but did install the rear man door today. Thanks
Won't be long and you'll be able to use some temp heat to work inside. I can relate to this project as I built mine over 4 years with just a little help on occasion but otherwise by myself. You're flying by my standards lol.

Likewise, car guys seam to be that way always offering a hand. Still trying to figure out how to get the garage doors tomorrow but did install the rear man door today. Thanks
Congrats on the new kids man! That's awesome! Love 'em too. Your garage looks great and I know your glad to be nearing the end too. What about getting your hands on three or 4 Black Locust tree trunks for the bridge base? #75 hardness, lasts in the ground , untreated for 75 yrs BEFORE it starts to rot. I have a bunch of big trees here on the farm. Chainsaw wont hardly cut them. Look around for a lumber mill. Get some beams like 12x12.

Congrats on the new kids man! That's awesome! Love 'em too. Your garage looks great and I know your glad to be nearing the end too. What about getting your hands on three or 4 Black Locust tree trunks for the bridge base? #75 hardness, lasts in the ground , untreated for 75 yrs BEFORE it starts to rot. I have a bunch of big trees here on the farm. Chainsaw wont hardly cut them. Look around for a lumber mill. Get some beams like 12x12.
I'm a Maint Supervisor for a sawmill so I don't have to look very far lol. The bridge is covered now. Dad offered his old trailor up today so that's what I'm going with. Never liked that trailor anyways, to tall and heavy but has a heavy 4X4 box frame that will work perfectly.

Won't be long and you'll be able to use some temp heat to work inside. I can relate to this project as I built mine over 4 years with just a little help on occasion but otherwise by myself. You're flying by my standards lol.
Can't wait for that, HEAT!!!! Thanks

While talking to a friend he offered to pick up the doors Tuesday for $100, done deal! 4 hr round trip and I don't have to miss any work. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back