• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running Hughes STL-3842 cam???

Mike67

Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
I did a search but came up empty. Im just curious if anyone is running this cam and if so can you post a video of it running. Also what are your thoughts, pros/cons?
I have the Comp XE275HL & just not sold on it yet...
Thanks

STL3842BS.jpg

Last edited:
What are you looking to do with it?

Friday/ Saturday night cruises, bust the tires lose @ 30mph...get peoples attention for the most part.
Not worried about vacuum, manual 4 wheel disc brakes...

Just looking at the spec cards I would say the Comp cams would have a little more torque. 110 vs 109 centerline and a little less duration. I would think that would be the hot ticket with a manual tranny.

10.4, RPM 84 cc heads Comp Promag 1.5 rockers 925 double springs , RPM intake, KB236 pistons, 800 cfm carb. 3.73, 3000 converter, 28" tire
Thank you guys for the input!

No, its just a solid...would like a roller, just out of my price range...or at least Im not ready to go there yet...Ill probably regret it. The cam prices dont bother me so much but the lifters for some reason do...

I've got one going in a 383. Going to be dynoed evwntually. I'll list thr combo and numbers when it's done.

you cant look at the cam spec the same for a hyd vs solid, take the valve lash out of the solid & the .050 #s would be very close on the 2 cams you are asking about, also a hydro specs are at .006 for the advertised duration, most solids are at .020 lift, I vote for the solid.

A solid lifter cam should be about 10*'s larger than a similar Hyd. cam in order to be about the same size cam.

They gave me a comparable hydraulic if I wanted to go that way, I have it written down at the office , I just don't remember the number....
Maybe I'm over thinking it all... I have the complete Comp kit (springs , locks, retainers, seals, timing chain & lifters) new in the box... I just didn't want to under utilize all of the other components I have and figured if I'm going to change it now would be the time while it's all apart...

They gave me a comparable hydraulic if I wanted to go that way, I have it written down at the office , I just don't remember the number....
Maybe I'm over thinking it all... I have the complete Comp kit (springs , locks, retainers, seals, timing chain & lifters) new in the box... I just didn't want to under utilize all of the other components I have and figured if I'm going to change it now would be the time while it's all apart...
you already have it so, I would say use it, I just keep reading about hydro lifter problems in mopars , THAT is the main reason I went solid.

you already have it so, I would say use it, I just keep reading about hydro lifter problems in mopars , THAT is the main reason I went solid.
Yup, seems every time I read about a hydro it's a failure

Mike, what heads do you have & who is doing the machine work ?

Ya when I was talking to the rep @ Hughes today thats was his opinion as well (on hydraulics). He warned of having a very clean system.
I have the 84cc RPM's. As far as the machine work I was going to send the heads over to Nickens Bros but found out my father in law has a life long friend that is a Mopar nut and has been building Race Hemis all of his life and he said he would go through them and set them up for me.
The block is a different story, I bought it from a guy in Dallas that had it built ( suposedly) 5-6 years prior to my purchase where it sat in his barn/shop. All of the assembly lube has gummed up and its pretty nasty ( dirty) looking. .My plan was to have it cleaned by a local machine shop and to reassmble the bottom end using the same components. All of the machine work did look like it was a fresh build. I will have them go ahead and install new cam bearings since the ones in there will need to be pulled for the cleaning.
Well Charlie you might have just swayed my opinion...only for the 1000th time!
Should I go ahead & bolt the heads on and install that cam to check p-v clearance to get a better idea of exactly what I have? I bought the Eddys later but the motor was originally set up a freshly worked set of 906's.
Know anyone looking for a brand new in the box, complete cam kit and fresh 906s new valves, springs etc and mild porting??? If I sell all of that it would lessen the pain for sure...I could easily step up to a roller!!!
Thanks again!

Last edited:
to check PV clearance you will need the cam you are using, with the small cam like that Huges solid, it should have plenty, BUT it still needs to be checked.

I guess my thought process was to have a better idea of what clearances I have using the 525/525 cam and a solid lifter; strictly for measuring purposes. I would hate to buy a cam and not have enough clearance and have to send the piston out to get cut or buy a different cam.

I guess my thought process was to have a better idea of what clearances I have using the 525/525 cam and a solid lifter; strictly for measuring purposes. I would hate to buy a cam and not have enough clearance and have to send the piston out to get cut or buy a different cam.
Yes that would give you a ballpark!!!

The other cam hughes recommended if i wanted hydraulic was the 3236

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back