• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radio issue, goes out at 2k-2.5k rpm

Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Pioneer cd/am/fm head unit in a 69 Satellite, 383 with mopar electronic ignition.

The radio/cd player sound goes out at around 2k-2.5k rpms. There is still power to the radio but no sound. It's not an antenna issue because it does it with CD player as well. It doesn't do it all the time, most of the time but not every single time. I didn't hook up this radio, bought the car with it already installed.

I'm guessing my next step would to be to see where the power is routed from...right?

It sounds as if you have a voltage drop or inconsistent voltage to the stereo. First and for most, these units should get power directly from the battery via an ignition controlled relay to ensure there is no noise from the cars electrical system or surges and drops in the power supply. I'd deffinitely look at where they sourced the power from.

Bad ground?? It happens all the time in everything.

It sounds as if you have a voltage drop or inconsistent voltage to the stereo. First and for most, these units should get power directly from the battery via an ignition controlled relay to ensure there is no noise from the cars electrical system or surges and drops in the power supply. I'd deffinitely look at where they sourced the power from.

I may run a wire from the battery and wire it straight to see if it does it. It's fused at the back of the radio so that should be fine but I could always add an inline fuse.

I had a Pioneer radio in my 70 Challenger years ago and I also had a voltage regulator that would go haywire at times. Every time it happened, my ammeter would peg and the radio would quit. I think Pioneer may have some protection built in for those spikes. Have you noticed any problems with your voltage when it happens? Might be that you have a high voltage problem. I would start with a different regulator.

I had a Pioneer radio in my 70 Challenger years ago and I also had a voltage regulator that would go haywire at times. Every time it happened, my ammeter would peg and the radio would quit. I think Pioneer may have some protection built in for those spikes. Have you noticed any problems with your voltage when it happens? Might be that you have a high voltage problem. I would start with a different regulator.
I don't have a volt meter, just the amp gauge on the dash and an aftermarket amp gauge. Both appear to be normal when it happens.

Tomorrow after work I'll run a wire straight from the battery to the radio to weed out any issues with that.

I ran the wire directly to the battery for the constant 12v. It works now. I thought I cleaned up all the rats nest of wires on everything but I guess I still have some left to do.

Auto Transport Service
Back