• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I find myself alone at Christmas...

Merry Christmas, Ed. You aren't alone when you have us nutjobs here to keep each other entertained. I hope the new job works out.

Merry Christmas, Ed. You aren't alone when you have us nutjobs here to keep each other entertained. I hope the new job works out.
Thank you on both counts, my friend.
It's weird - all the signals up to a month ago were to get my house in order, which I have...
Then the job offer of a lifetime shows up just when I'm resigned to my fate.
The Dude upstairs and that plan of his - sheesh, eh?
I've given up trying to make sense of it; just riding it out now.:thumbsup:

I will be spending Christmas eve day, and possibly evening as well as the 25th in prison.

I have spent the majority of the last 20 Christmas times alone or in prison. Even when I was married, the wife would usually go to her family and I would stay home because of work reasons.

Personally I have never really enjoyed large forced family gatherings, its not that I dont like seeing people - but an hour or so and I am ready to have a little solitude and peace of mind. I dont particularly care for games, or a lot of stuff happening around me I dont have control of. So being in a room with a bunch of people have a bunch of different conversations was always a bit of an anxiety issue for me. Even when I loved all those people I was with -

So many holiday weekends I stayed back, took care of things around the house. Cooked a good dinner or 3 for myself and enjoyed TV, movies, working in the garage, snowmobile rides etc.....
"snowmobile rides etc....."

Be careful of those.
My entire adult lifes' destiny
was channeled in a split
second.
I still ride, but always with
someone.
Have a safe and happy
holiday!

Oh man....been alone since 17 and so far, it's not too bad so long as I'm doing something but may not be alone this year since I have a new girlfriend so to speak. She recently lost her husband earlier this year so we've been taking things as they go. Thing is, she recently decided she likes me. Ok....still gonna take things slow. I like her too but I've been liking my 'freedom' but like her company a lot so we'll see how it goes.

Lots of posts here talking about being alone even when being married and I know all too well what that's like!! Been down that road with 'the other family' way too much and felt like being way outside in the cold with them and also didn't really like being all that 'crowded' together either. And sure didn't like the unruly children and the parents not being parents not to mention parents that were 'friends' with the children (my wife for one) and well, I don't miss any of that crap and when the guys decided to have a 'Christmas' poker game while the 'wemons' were doing their own thing with the kids running wild. All I can say is I thank God (if that's the right thing to do) that she finally left me to myself!! Being alone for me isn't that bad to tell ya the truth.

Ed, gotta hand it to you....not sure I could go through all that you have and keep my sanity. I'm getting close to 73 and have had my problems but man, I'm sooo grateful that they have been minor imo. So far, my home of 40 years (will be 40 years this coming April) has survived two divorces and there will not ever be another.
Buttin' in again, Ed.
I found myself in the same
predicament as you a few
years ago. Got laid off from
a contract job 900 miles
from home, a few days
before the holidays. I
couldn't head for home
until payroll issued my final
check.
During my time there, I
became friends with a guy
that ran a half-way house
for recovering alcoholics
and drug abusers.
He was an ordained minister
and was big on organizing
an annual toy drive at Xmas.
I spent an entire week
driving around Central Texas
delivering donated toys.
The organization paid for my
meals and gas.
I had a ball, seeing under
privileged kids ripping thru
wrapping paper.
Got more hugs than I ever
got from family gatherings.

Ed,
Unrelated, but I miss your old avatar. Always took me back.

Peace be with you, brother. Merry Christmas.

Ed,
Unrelated, but I miss your old avatar. Always took me back.

Peace be with you, brother. Merry Christmas.
Oh man, which one was that?
Merry Christmas to you all there, brother!

The gentlemen smoking his pipe :) He seemed very familiar looking to me LOL

Thank you Bill! Sounds like a full (if not solitary) agenda for you this holiday. :drinks:

It got up to 58F here today, so I made the effort to get Fred out from his slumber and go to town
for a few errands. I hate driving him with the windows up/closed, so it was the usual all windows
down (and goofed up HVAC heat running) and he did great; that cheered me up a bit. :thumbsup:
I did that today Ed, guess will are both doing the lone thing tomorrow.

Same here. Last 5 years. I don’t put up lights or any of that stuff anymore. I realized I did it when my Mom was here, and family would come to visit. I’m sick tonight anyway. Cold, Flu, covid… Idk, just running a fever and aches. But I’m off from work, and have it so much better than millions of others around the world, and right here in USA. So I’m thankful and content. Merry Christmas Ed, you’ve got great taste in cars. Oh… and Merry Christmas Fred!

Same here. Last 5 years. I don’t put up lights or any of that stuff anymore. I realized I did it when my Mom was here, and family would come to visit. I’m sick tonight anyway. Cold, Flu, covid… Idk, just running a fever and aches. But I’m off from work, and have it so much better than millions of others around the world, and right here in USA. So I’m thankful and content. Merry Christmas Ed, you’ve got great taste in cars. Oh… and Merry Christmas Fred!
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Feel better! :thumbsup:
I had Lisa put up her usual Christmas tree with village underneath before she left, along with our
usual (electric) candles in the windows. Yeah, I turn them on every evening, just like she was here.

I have to admit, though - she and I have had a couple phone conversations about life in general
and us in it, given what the world has tossed at us the last dozen years - and the air is clearer between
us now than before. Sometimes it's easier to discuss stuff with a bit of distance, I guess.
It'll all be ok once she returns, I just gotta make it that far.

Thanks as always, my friend. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Ed!

1703468841969.png

I like the old avatar also! (Yeah the one you're using now) After awhile on here you get used to everyone's avatar and hardly look at their screen names. Then someone changes their avatar and you do a double take to see who they are. I guess it becomes the member's signature after awhile.

Both parents have passed. I have two brothers who moved quite the distance away. Both kids live about as far away. Phone calls have become the norm for keeping in touch. I have a friend who lives the next town over and she invites me to spend the holidays with her and her family. Other than that it's me, myself and I. The holidays can be rough for a lot of people as we get older. Yes I miss the days when everyone was home for the holidays. Those days are just a memory now but memories are what we can hold on to. I'm thankful to have some good friends to hang out with.

Merry Christmas Mr. Ed!
dancing-santa-claus-reindeer-prnma53dixto5zb0.gif

Christmas Greetings to Fred and Ed who are together in spirit and might. Let the Stars tonight be a guide to inspirations and light. There a plan in place not made in haste and communicated with grace to your former work place. So let your mind move ahead with determination and remember that highways have many junctions some are long and some are short, you’re riding with Fred now, see that’s what experience is all about. If you’re interested I have a suggestion for a different type of Christmas movie, it has presents and reindeers but not in the usual fashion. The Wife and I watched it on YouTube in color, though we subscribe so no commercials. First time seeing it and it was a trill. To end, good luck in this New Year and Peace Man!

1703485504830.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back