• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who else played in the "back " of a station wagon when you grew up?

Yup here too. We had a few. 67 ford wagon, 69 chevy kingswood wagon and a 72 chevy kingswood. They each had seats in the cargo area and I do not remember anyone wearing a seatbelt or even if there were any back there. All 6 of us survived too.

Us kids rode in the back of our wagon, while mom drag raced on Telegraph road. Dad was at work.
New 1964 Dodge 330 wagon. Factory 383 4-speed.

Mom's 64 wagon color.jpg

Last edited:
We had a 71 Chevy Kingswood wagon growing up. Slept in the back on many a family trip. I wish I still had my 71 Fury Custom Suburban, but someone still loves it, it was spotted at Hershey Fall meet parking lot last year.

My mom had wagons all the time me growing up...
Till HS at least...

I came home from the Concord Memorial Hospital
in July of 1959, in a
Baby Blue & White 1957 Plymouth Savoy 2 dr station wagon
she got from Shell Oil fleet, straight 6, 3 on the tree,
from my dad's father/my Granddad's VP Shell Oil Engineer connections

Later after she remarried, a few years went by
my stepdad Bob built her a custom 1957 Del Rio 2 dr Ranch Wagon,
Red & Cream-colored top, nice mag wheels & tires,
a hoped up 352FE T10 4 speed :blah:
When we went for the 1st family ride, me & my 2 older sisters at that time...
I was in the far back, like I always was, probably playing with my Hot Wheels...
Mom she wasn't used to them 'new fangled' power brakes...
It had really good new brakes, she hit the brakes a tad bit hard
like she was driving the ol' Plymouth (with no power anything)
I flew to from the very back (no seat belt or in a seat even)
all the way up into the front seat, that hurt a lil'...
I remember everyone laughing, it was pretty funny...
We had that wagon for years, it was cool 'old rod', quick too...
I always wanted that wagon, but they sold it when they moved...

To this day I like older wagons
57 Nomads & 57 Ranch Wagons, or a sedan delivery, most any 2drs especially

Last edited:
Me too! I don’t recall exactly the model but Chevy wagon. During the hot summers mom would take all us neighborhood kids out about 8 miles to the lake landing that the family owned at the time! Somewhere in that wagon we fit the black lab too! Stacked in like cordwood

I would have to say, I’ve got more seat time sitting on the wheel well in the bed of a pickup truck!

My father was driving in a snow storm and I was laying on the back deck while my brother kneeled in his car seat (a piece of vinyl covered plywood and a steel bar) looking back at me. We slid of off the road and hit the guard rail, he was catapulted out of the seat and into the footwell.

Some of my best friends (2 girls and a boy) parents had an olds 98 wagon as pictured in post #1.

White with wood on the sides and the softest blue vinyl interior that never did rip after all sorts of abuse.

Dad was a big Oldsmobile guy - I grew up in the backs of various Vista and Custom Cruisers. Mom bought her '70 Charger new. Dad dug a chick with a Mopar (and a sailboat - dad was navy), and when I came along the Charger went to family (mom's brother's family, including the cousin who wrecked the car in '76...grrr.....) and mom moved into wagons for the duration. Our last 3 row was an 80s Custom Cruiser. I remember we were driving from VA to FL for vacation, luggage piled in the middle seat, me and the beagle in the "way-back" looking out the back window. Then...we were looking FORWARD. And, on the median strip. Then, back to looking back. Then forward. Then across. Then stopped. Dad had panic-braked to avoid a stoppage, locked up the brakes, and spun it into the median.

I think we took a 3 hour break for "lunch" at the next exit ramp.

Our last Olds wagon was actually respectably quick - either an 89 or 91 Olds Cutlass Ciera "International Series" wagon with the surprisingly torquey 3.8. Looked decent - charcoal gray with lace alloy wheels and a maroon leather interior - and ran like stink. Think this, in a wagon:

1686667800710.png

That was it for me and wagons, till I bought my Satellite in '92

Not a station wagon, but I remember riding home in the back of a 65 Barracuda and getting a sunburn under that big back window.
IMG_1612.jpeg

Pop bought a brand new 72 AMC Ambassador Wagon....... my brother and I rode in the back on a cross county trip, the A/C stopped working between Arizona and LA; the old man was pissed!........ours was green, with the woodgrain of course

1686677646763.png

AMC guys will remember the "desert only" setting on the "weather eye" climate controls.......oh, the irony

1686678123435.png

Last edited:
My family had a ‘69 Chevy wagon with the 350 in it (wish I had it). My sister and I would sleep in the back when we went on early trips to Mammoth! This was from a trip to Oregon. We went camping, fishing and hunting often!

IMG_4492.jpeg

This is a picture from the Mopar Alley show about 20 years back (before it moved to De Anza College). The car is a copy of the car my parents had from 61 - 70. Our car was originally purchased from Mancini Chrysler in Sunnyvale CA. I spent lots of miles in the way back seat going across country and to the beach down south.

61-Newport002.jpg

This was our second wagon, hauling the BB 4-speed wagon to the boneyard....

Mom's wagon scrapped.jpg

Are you sure it wasn't from the CO? I remember getting a little gassed if the window was down. Still love the smell of high test :)
We always begged for it to be rolled down. Pop would know about the exhaust, but he was usually
more concerned about what (or who) might come flying out of the car if he rolled it down....
Still, sometimes he'd do it for a minute or two just to shut us up. :)

Pop bought a brand new 72 AMC Ambassador Wagon....... my brother and I rode in the back on a cross county trip, the A/C stopped working between Arizona and LA; the old man was pissed!........ours was green, with the woodgrain of course

View attachment 1478822

AMC guys will remember the "desert only" setting on the "weather eye" climate controls.......oh, the irony

View attachment 1478823
When I landed my first job in the tank truck industry, the owner had one these AMC wagons. In addition to being his family car, he also used it as a service vehicle for road calls, rather than giving money to vendors. He carried tools for chaining and blocking trailer axles, taught me old school industry work ethic the first time we did a roadside job together. On weekends, he would put the back seat up, and drive the family to church.

We had a 1977 LTD wagon as a kid. Always rode in the back. I can still remember the sound of that 460 opening up when Mom would pass somebody on the highways...lol

Auto Transport Service
Back