• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘68 Gtx rear window inside plastic trim question(s)

haywire 440

Full Speed Ahead
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been meaning to do a restoration post w/photos sometime on my car. But now I’m looking for some answers. At this point the rear window was taken out to speed up the installation of new package tray and the associated plastic trim. I bought the new 4 piece set (there is a 6 piece set for Coronet’s). The 4 piece had a bottom trim that seems to stick up 1/2” while the side pieces are even with the pinch weld. I tried getting this trim & tray installed with the window in but no luck there. Here are 5 photos while the window is still in and 3 more with window out. The arrow points to the channel that was widened to except the trim (hopefully it doesn’t go below that channel, that wouldn’t make sense). What are your thoughts. I look at a few resto thread but didn’t find an answer.

0D7688CD-4B00-4ED6-91C7-7DFB6BC8E69A.jpeg 40B37374-AA09-4C44-8B27-5D5BC01141F3.jpeg CF502BE3-BC11-433D-900F-DCE7CF5CF248.jpeg BF042F03-5732-4DB2-9150-F90FD8F69933.jpeg 4D1169B8-CB73-4C95-9724-6AD478C568DD.jpeg BEA89AEF-3512-488C-8F3C-F6D8479F965E.jpeg BB326C99-93F4-49BB-A56A-7A99A1DB9850.jpeg 2E25DCD1-9E87-4D29-BE12-5F51B911A75F.jpeg

I don't know why there would be 4 or 6 pieces. In my 69 RR which is the same as yours, there are only TWO pieces - the long upper which wraps the pinch weld from bottom corner up and over to the other bottom corner. The bottom trim goes on the hardboard package shelf and slips in and butts against the rear window glass. Some models - I'm not sure which - have lower corner pieces but the RR didn't have them. The repro lower trim is made of "plastic" and is quite rigid compared to the original trim which was much more flexible. If you're using reproduction trim that's probably the problem.

And I sure wouldn't be putting this in before the glass.

Just so we're clear ... you removed the rear window to replace the "metal" package tray or the hardboard package tray ?

Plymouth is easy, staple that thing to the tray cover and while sliding the entire thing back as a unit lift it up with a yard stick underneath so the trim sits up on top of the pinch weld. Went through this on my Bee, that has always had a plymouth trim piece in the back as long as I can remember. Dodge you need to install the lower plastic trim BEFORE the glass goes in as it clips ONTO the pinch weld prior to the butyl strip install, as per the FSM.
beerestoration2019 3111.JPG
beerestoration2019 3112.JPG
beerestoration2019 3105.JPG
beerestoration2019 3116.JPG
beerestoration2019 3117.JPG
beerestoration2019 3118.JPG
beerestoration2019 3120.JPG

I don't know why there would be 4 or 6 pieces. In my 69 RR which is the same as yours, there are only TWO pieces - the long upper which wraps the pinch weld from bottom corner up and over to the other bottom corner. The bottom trim goes on the hardboard package shelf and slips in and butts against the rear window glass. Some models - I'm not sure which - have lower corner pieces but the RR didn't have them. The repro lower trim is made of "plastic" and is quite rigid compared to the original trim which was much more flexible. If you're using reproduction trim that's probably the problem.
You’re right Staton, it’s reproduction and it’s very stiff.
Here’s photos of the 4 & 6 piece repo stuff. And the tray is hardboard. I actually cut stress relief “v”s on the sharp curves. Anticipating problems because of the stiffness. Those 2 areas were bowed.

A62F92BF-DC0D-4E3C-998E-0DDB6A1ADCBB.png 6D73D3A2-CF89-42A1-A867-EF0E3E597343.png 0F774EE4-9E9D-498A-8A28-37E72D622A7F.jpeg

Plymouth is easy, staple that thing to the tray cover and while sliding the entire thing back as a unit lift it up with a yard stick underneath so the trim sits up on top of the pinch weld. Went through this on my Bee, that has always had a plymouth trim piece in the back as long as I can remember. Dodge you need to install the lower plastic trim BEFORE the glass goes in as it clips ONTO the pinch weld prior to the butyl strip install, as per the FSM.
View attachment 918532 View attachment 918533 View attachment 918535 View attachment 918537 View attachment 918538 View attachment 918539 View attachment 918540
I tried to slip the package tray & plastic trim in, but to no avail. I didn’t staple the trim (nice tip!). I tried lifting the tray with my hand. Even after the window was out I used a 4x4 in the middle and a 1x1 on the sides to slip it in. And that was after widening the channel it slips into.

So I thinking out loud now and this tray trim is so stiff that maybe a heat gun could be used to reshape/loosen it up. Of course it has turned into more difficult than what it should be. I did read the fsm, I bought some 3/8” butyl round window ribbon and even have some butyl primer ordered. Thanks for your input.

I think the repro crap is too brittle to staple.

Got mine from Laysons. Looks like the OP's ... crappy repro.

I forget the manufacturer but I recently purchased off e-bay.
Well it looks like it’s supposed to curl up towards the roof. I’ll have to see how that will work out.

No, it doesn't curl up towards the roof.

No, it doesn't curl up towards the roof.
Thanks for clearing that up and even though it seemed like a pita the tray & trim need to be installed after the window is in. Well, what the hell, I taught myself how to remove a rear window. I’m going to a big Indianapolis Mopar swap this weekend and I’ll see if there is a more pliable piece.

I’m going to a big Indianapolis Mopar swap this weekend and I’ll see if there is a more pliable piece.

Good luck with that !!! You're to late to even have a vendor bring one.

Gotta remove the back seat to remove the two hold down brackets and the end vinyl flaps

Come on guys, sure the back seat, upper AND lower were out of the car. And the driver seat too, for that matter. I’m not always a complete moron, at least that’s what my better half tells me. Lol,.. maybe now is a good time to ask if the other pieces that trim-out the upper inside window can be installed before the window goes back in?
Or is it better to install afterwards? Hey if You do things two times, don’t you learn twice as much? I appreciate the direction given, haywire.

Come on guys, sure the back seat, upper AND lower were out of the car. And the driver seat too, for that matter. I’m not always a complete moron, at least that’s what my better half tells me. Lol,.. maybe now is a good time to ask if the other pieces that trim-out the upper inside window can be installed before the window goes back in?
Or is it better to install afterwards? Hey if You do things two times, don’t you learn twice as much? I appreciate the direction given, haywire.

I was only trying to cover for you since there’s no way to remove the package tray without removing the back seat

Auto Transport Service
Back