• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘70 roadrunner, 8000 miles Not mine

Nate S

Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
@Richard Cranium Here’s one for you. This guy lives behind the house where my wife grew up. 8000 miles. Once again, in the local paper.
48A6AD5C-8D60-488D-8E14-A033CCE375EB.png
A705A47C-DAA3-4F32-B5BC-5C73092956EF.png
0BA7C1FE-3440-43A2-BFE7-774B33E2D54F.png
79313FA6-DC3C-4F99-8468-CA964A8D1D0B.png
0E20A991-D04F-4926-9406-22E296A465F4.png
BY BUD WILKINSON REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN

Like many teenage drivers back in the muscle car era, Gary Lucia of Torrington could be a bit reckless when he got behind the steering wheel.

It’s understandable, though, as he drove a muscular 1970 Plymouth Road Runner– orange with black vinyl top– that he got new when he was 18 years old.

Lucia still owns it and after initially admitting to getting “several” tickets back then, he confessed that the ticket count was actually much, much higher.

“I think about a dozen in the first three years I had it. And, in fact, I lost my license once because of it. It took me several months to get it back,” he said.

The hi-vis Road Runner was a familiar blur in Torrington in the early 1970s. Lucia would tear up and down East Main Street, the favored cruise route between a McDonald’s restaurant that then existed atop the hill on the east side of the city and the shopping plaza downtown. The car certainly impressed his friends.

“Some of them were a little jealous and they loved it. They loved going for rides in it. One of them especially loved it when I outran a cop with it. I was a little nuts, so I did things like that back then,” Lucia said, recalling that he once got the Road Runner up to 135 miles per hour on Route 8. It was a frightening experience as a wind gust nudged the front end.

This week, after having been parked in his heated garage for a whopping 48 years, the 51-year-old Road Runner was back cruising on East Main Street, albeit at a much slower pace. Lucia only drove it for three years after purchasing it. That it sat gathering dust for so long wasn’t planned.

“It really wasn’t a decision as much as I put it away for the winter as I always did and just never wound up taking it out until the beginning of this year,” he said, acknowledging even he’s amazed that at the duration of its hibernation. “I kept saying I was going to take it out. That was about 10 years ago I started saying that. I just never did until this year.”

The Road Runner exited his garage in April. Lucia had it towed to Gary’s Hilltop Auto Repair in Torrington where Gary Del Monte replaced the gas tank, worked on the brakes, addressed the hose and belts and flushed the radiator.

The car “was fine for a couple weeks but actually one of the lifters had rusted and that ended up dropping my oil pressure, bent the push rod, so the heads had to come off.”

It then went back for engine work and it wasn’t until Monday afternoon that he picked it up and drove it home.

“Gary is great with muscle cars and the job was quite extensive,” Lucia said.

The Road Runner is powered by a 383-cubic-inch V8 engine and has a four-speed manual transmission with a Hurst shifter with pistol grip. After he parked it in 1973, Lucia shifted to driving cars with automatic transmissions, so getting back behind the wheel was “a little scary. It has horsepower I haven’t been used to,” he said.

While waiting for the Road Runner to be fixed, Lucia bought a 2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Cobra allowing him to practice with a high-power model for about a month before the Road Runner was ready. The Shelby is a modern vehicle, though, and the Road Runner “is quite different. It’s very easy to stall it.”

While the Road Runner looks to be orange in color, Lucia said the color is a variant called “TorRed.”

“It looks orange to me but a deeper orange, not a Sunkist orange,” said Lucia. Even after 51 years, the paint is still vibrant, perhaps because the Road Runner got put away every winter when it was originally on the road.

In addition to looking nearly new, the Road Runner displays an amazingly low number on the odometer. It has only been driven a little more than 8,000 miles, making the car not only a survivor but a valuable throwback to when muscle cars ruled the roads.

“I had a really fantastic offer several years ago; but it’s not only the car, it’s my youth and it’s not for sale,” he said.

That offer was for more than $100,000, a hefty premium from the roughly $3,300 that Lucia paid for the Road Runner in 1970. His plan now is to “just drive it. Going to keep it. Probably pass it on to my son unless I get some ridiculous offer, but I doubt it.”

It's missing a trim ring well beyond Mark's capabilities.

Very nice!!. I was one of those guys that collected everything and stored it away for another day. Coins, jewelry, watches, stamps, tools, baseball cards, comic books, slot cars, train sets, guns, boats, you name it, I squirreled it away. I don't know, I guess my thought was it would be more valuable one day and I'd have it. The last ten years I've been giving all of it to all the young kids my kids grew up with. My Coronet can and will be given away one day, but now , I realize It's about today, not yesterday or tomorrow, but, today! The older I get, the more I realize it's not worth anything to a dead guy. I get a big kick out of giving it to those that have years full of tomorrows. As for Cora, she brings a smile to my face, today. My hope is for her and I to wear out together........ Let The Horses Run!!!

Sweet. Wonder if that sold new from DaVita Motor Sales on Migeon Ave.
Thanks for sharing Nate.:thumbsup:

I saw that car, parked in the garage in 1978 when doing a road call for Milos. It was right off Charles street and the home owner need a jump start.

The car was parked in the garage then and the owner told me the story of how her son drove the car only a few years very sparingly and then parked it.

Cliff Ramsdell

Cool car and story, but not worth 100K is it? Maybe I am out of touch with the value of low mileage muscle cars, but I wouldn't value it anywhere near that. I would take RC's 69 RR over this one anyday.

Very cool story. There are many still out there.
I realize it's not worth anything to a dead guy.
Totally agree. My brother let his LS6 1970 Chevelle sit for over 40 years.It had 1,092 miles on it..
Got the "Someday after I retire I'll get it back out again". DEAD 8 months after he retired.
IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

Cool car and story, but not worth 100K is it? Maybe I am out of touch with the value of low mileage muscle cars, but I wouldn't value it anywhere near that.

I agree, no 383 Road Runner is worth over 100K, not even mine. :D

However, if someone steps up and wave that kind of cash in front of me, I wouldn't hesitate to sign over the title.

PXL_20201226_211501964.jpg

Cool car and story, but not worth 100K is it? Maybe I am out of touch with the value of low mileage muscle cars, but I wouldn't value it anywhere near that. I would take RC's 69 RR over this one anyday.

Someone offers me 100k usd for mine I’ll deliver it and throw in free car washes and oil changes for a year!

Any takers?

818EEFC0-093B-46AE-8C0A-D3066EFDB604.jpeg 66A677BB-64E7-42F7-B6C0-FF638AEAF314.jpeg E78EDA1E-55E1-40B9-8DB2-9100927D92AC.jpeg

Dang, Wife says I already have a Blue car... :luvplace:

Lucky for you and her it’s Q5 turquoise! When are you available for delivery? The weather is still good, do you mind if I drive it across the provinces instead of transport? And because we’re on the same side of the border I’ll do you a solid and accept the 100k in cdn instead of usd. All Numbers matching, build sheet, fender tag. Uncle bought it new!

Does it get any better than that?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back